Locked out scenario

If you want to be really evil, have the key actually operate the lock on a fake door. A surprise is behind the fake door.... ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

Easier still on a window...

Reply to
Doug Miller

The favorite window is one on a slider or one next to the swimming pool. That one will be tempered and a spring loaded center punch will turn it into a bushel of corn, fairly quietly. No shards of glass to get cut on. If they are nervous they might break the window with a BB gun, wait a while to see if anyone noticed, then go in.

Reply to
gfretwell

Maybe one of those highly-poisonous South American snakes.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Nate Nagel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com:

If you depend on a doorknob-based lock to secure your home,you are nuts.

1;easy to lock yourself out with one. 2;easy to use a pipe wrench on one.
Reply to
Jim Yanik

Mark Lloyd wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Get REAL.

Sheesh,more idiotic UseNet "advice".

Reply to
Jim Yanik

i locked myself out and have deadbolts.........

went out thru garage and locked it, i doubt any garages have dead bolts on the regular garage door

Reply to
hallerb

heh, nope.

i am not sure the locks work on my doors. never used them.

Reply to
Tater

Windows are even easier. Why put an expensive lock right next to a window? The fact is that door locks only keep the neighbor kids out.

Reply to
krw

Chances are its not a dead-bolt, in which case the lock can probably be defeated with a credit card.

Reply to
TheClassic

It's not idiotic. The problem is that you thought it was supposed to be serious.

BTW, Where I heard it was in this group, a few years ago (although I added the South American part).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I've seen garage doors that do, although not doors with openers.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

My kitchen-> garage door has a deadbolt. To bolt the overhead door, I have to turn the outside handle, but then the electric opener has a fit, because they aren't interconnected (usually they disable the manual lock, but this install was a DIY by previous owner.) Yeah, in theory I could lock myself out. I have a BIG back yard- I probably oughta stash a rust-proof key out there somewhere, in one of the nooks and crannies in the shed or something. But since I always arrive by car, the same keyring that started the car has a house key on it. And nobody else ever drives me home....

aem sends...

Reply to
<aemeijers

To avoid this scenario DON&#39;T hide your key outdoors or buy a fake rock

- these are not secure options - someone could see you accessing your hiding place or rock, or a squirrel could steal your shiny keys. Buy a combination-lock keybox, just like realtors use. Think about it! Keyboxes lock securely to a door handle where they remain out of the way and ready to come to the rescue should you ever be locked out. Any hardware store sells &#39;em. Secret spot for your key - humbug! Spend $25 on a keybox with a 4 digit combo. (You can change the combo as often as you like. Don&#39;t use your house address for the combo!) If you don&#39;t want to lose your house key from your pants pocket at work, keep it in a keybox on your front door handle. Having said this, I can tell you that a keybox is no match for a sledgehammer and a concrete surface - I busted one open in one blow, no problem (but I was lucky to keep the contents intact!) If a keybox box is locked to your door handle, it&#39;d be easier for a highly determined and brazen criminal to use a sledgehammer on your front door lock itself. But mostly only the police do that sort of thing. How&#39;s that for reassurance?

Anth> I was visiting my niece for thanksgiving day and today ( friday ) a

Reply to
zometool

Or put a key on the collar of your crazy huge dog, but make it a fake key to a fake door on your neighbor&#39;s house, which is full of fake neighbors that are actually crazy huge dogs with snakes on their collars(some can have fake snakes) and then just unload at the whole mess of &#39;em, dude.

Whoever suggested booby trapp> To avoid this scenario DON&#39;T hide your key outdoors or buy a fake rock

Reply to
zometool

Funny one day I fpound the neighbors kids running thru our home, they came in thru the doggie door:(

I wasnt mad but sent them home telling them to ask mom and dad why this was a bad idea...

the parents called I was just concerned for their safety, with 4 dogs they could do little damage here

Reply to
hallerb

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

Not all doors have windows adjacent to them.Or have windows IN them.

Now,newer,fancy homes do have windows right next to the door,very unwise for security.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Mark Lloyd wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes,it is. such venomous snakes generally require permits to keep,standards for their housing and care,they have the potential for escape and harming others. They also will not discriminate between a burglar and you,your family,or someone&#39;s curious kid.

Nor will any real thieves pay attention to your little "note".

This is not alt.jokes.idiotic

Oh,hearing it HERE makes it "sensible"? Sheesh.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Seems pretty common.

Sure, but it is a reality. The fact is that door locks do nearly nothing. Windows are far easier entry points than even cheap locksets.

Reply to
krw

A good multi-pane window may well be tougher than the wall it&#39;s in.

Reply to
Goedjn