Lithium Ion Drill Recommendation

That was my thought when I bought the Ridgid 18v Drill/Impact Driver combo a few months back. I just returned the whole kit to HD (with a long session of bitching to the manager to get them to take it back). The batteries stopped holding a charge for very long, would self drain from sitting on the shelf for a week or so. Home Depot wanted me to go to some third party service to have the batteries repaired/replaced under the lifetime warranty. Place was only open Mon-Thurs from 9am to

4pm, and sorry, I have a day job, so that really wasn't an option.

I ended up convincing the HD manager to return the set, and purchased the Makita 18v Drill/Driver kit. I couldn't be more happy with it. The drill is considerably smaller than the Rigid was, but the batteries have twice the AmpHours - which is the most important factor in battery power. The impact driver will run 3" deck screws all day and not even blink. Right now, HD has a special going on where if you spend $300 on power tools, you get $75 instant rebate. Ended up spending $225 for the kit - a great deal.

Reply to
Mike

-snip-

I lied- 15minutes to 85%- 30 minutes to full on the Bosch. Can't find a time offhand on the Milwaukee- but I've never drained a battery before the next one was ready.

Never felt a hot battery, but I pay little attention to them until I'm ready to use them.

I doubt slower charging would make the batteries last longer or manufacturers would sell a slow charge charger & tout its benefits. And I probably wouldn't buy one. It is a tool- not a collectible that I want to hang on to forever. If I get 2 yrs [the warranty period] out of the tool I'm happy, it has made my life $100 easier-- and there will be a new & better technology out there.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I recently also did my homework and came upon several dissatisfied customers for whom Ridgid refused to register their product for the lifetime warrantee.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Mike Dobony wrote: (snip)

Those were probably the old drills that had K & T wiring. No company will give you a warranty on those -- they're inherently dangerous. (And your homeowners insurance won't cover them either.)

:p

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

A little Google search will show all sorts of power tools made for the bedroom. ROTFL

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Smitty Two wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@newsfarm.iad.highwinds-media.com:

I suspect the roadster has a sophisticated battery monitor/charging circuit,probably much better than what a driver battery pack would have.

Reply to
Jim Yanik