Lining Up/Starting Screws in Doorknob (2023 Update)

This suggestion was the most helpful! I used a skewer for dipping fruit in chocolate instead of an ice pick. I also held a small flashlight in my teeth as I peered in looking for the screw holes.

Reply to
jt

No doubt your dentist will appreciate the extra business to repair your chipped front teeth with bondings ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Hey buddy oh, yes it is a pain in the ass, and from what I see I'm not the only one that messes around with this every couple of years and loses his mind trying to get this finally figured it out but I smell a millionaire in the making you would think if someone put a little bit of bring into the design of this doorknob you don't have to redesign the whole thing just improve what's already there shouldn't be that hard and Wham-O millionaire overnight,

Reply to
Angel santos

Hey guys this is the easiest way that I finally after a lot of pain that works for me, there's too many parts that got a lineup and all those parts are engineered wobbly and it would take several hands to hold everything together line it up and all that so forget about doing that just don't even try it, just eyeball it at 3 and 9 position on both halves but primarily put the female half of the doorknob first then the other half just put the screws into the assembly and then grab that whole assembly with the screws inserted at the 3 and 9 as well and once your 90% in give up on the 3 or the 9 screw just forget about it and worry about one screw oh, that one screw you will easily be able to maneuver into the other side and you will have enough wiggle room on the other side to allow you to peak at that second screw to line up with the 2nd female part, once it lines up and it goes in a hair push it in with your thumb and grab your driver give it one turn or 1 and 1/2 turns at the most that's enough to secure since it's a fine thread, once that screw is secure then you go ahead and grab the other screw whatever you left the 3 or the 9 dangling, now you insert that screw and try to line it up with the tube and hit the spot, since you only gave it 1 and 1/2 turns at the most you'll be able to pull the assembly out and peek inside and watch that screw line up .. so again 1st screw is 1 turn may e even 1/2 turn ,another thing that could help if your screws not long enough it's once you screw that first group grab yourself a little wedge I do it with an empty pack of cigarettes and wedge it on the side that doesn't have to screw and that will allow you to peek inside and line that 2nd screw up, and one final thought once you have that first crew, go ahead and take a second to line up both sides of your assembly and make sure it's relatively at the three position and 9 position 12 position + 6 and then on the other side as well as close as you can just eyeball it that'll get you pretty close ,,, that allow you to be pretty carefree on that first screw so it goes infast,,,,but again the secret is just worried about one screw get that in there and don't tighten it but just one turn at the most that'll allow the assembly to be loose enough for you to be able to wiggle that other screw and peak and see what you're doing when you inserted at 2nd Screw

Reply to
Angel santos

Crikey, you need to be an octopus to achieve this!!!

Reply to
Kate