Line Voltage Thermostats

I've read that the 4-wire (double pole?) is usually the preferred method for connecting 240V line voltage thermostats and I have a 240V radiant ceiling heat. I bought several Honeywell CT1950B (4 wire) thermostats and when I pulled my old (circa 1970) thermostat off of the wall I noticed it had 2 wires, a red and a black, with 1 white wire wired in the back of the box (kind of like a neutral wire for a 110V light switch connection).. Is it possible to use these 4-wire thermos given my current situation? Any wiring tricks to hook up 2 wires here or there? (I know I'm probably over simplifying).. If anyone can provide me help here I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Reply to
caudiar777

Your thermostat has L1-L2 and T1-T2. Wirenut L1,L2 and one wire from the old stat together, then wire T1, T2 and the other wire from the old stat together

Reply to
RBM

Thank you for the quick response. I did find out that the wire that was wired together in the back must have been L2 and T2 tied together already, and that L1 and T1 were being broken by the old thermostat. I untied the back wires, connected the two hots to L1-L2 and the two obvious ceiling heat wires (thick red) to the T1 and T2..

Thank you again..

RBM Wrote:

Reply to
caudiar777