Life Alert - Outlet bursts into flames

Cool story. Have you had occasion to knock your neighbor to the ground again since then? If so, do tell.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Maybe not, but it's ok because I did even dumber things later.

Reply to
mm

Great story. This thread reminds me of a time a saw a small commercial building on fire. It seemed to cause an electrical short (or maybe the short caused the fire) but the overhead wires serving the building began to get hot, the insulation on them was melting and smoking all up the street.

I'm kinda surprised that there isn't some sort of overload protection on these wires - i.e. neighborhood service wires - wouldn't there be some way to break these circuits when a powerline is shorted out or downed by trees, etc.? -- H

Reply to
Heathcliff

My college roommate, Joe, was really quiet one evening after he got back from work. He had delivered a refrigerator that afternoon. When he and his helper got there, the customer, who was sitting on the floor working on his clothes dryer, told them where to put the icebox.

They installed the refrigerator, then turned to the customer to ask if he was happy with the location, but got no answer. The guy had hold of the 220-volt supply cord, which was already plugged into the wall, and was being electrocuted.

Joe didn't know where the breaker box was, so he made a double fist and hit the guy in the side of the head as hard as he could. That made him drop the cable, but it was too late.

I guess Joe had a right to be quiet.

Reply to
SteveBell

Very good story.

I don't know that longer screws etc. would have changed things. Around here, a tree fell during a storm, landed on phone lines and snapped the telephone pole 15 or 20 feet away. Surely the pole was stronger than any possible attachment of the conduit.

Reply to
mm

Yow, that's totally tragic. Did he get paid for the refrigerator? I mean, not like I'm a callous jerk, but enquiring minds want to know.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Joe was an employee. He got his paycheck. Whether the store got paid by the customer's estate I don't know.

Reply to
SteveBell

... >outside each of 3 bedrooms, one of those doing double duty as the top

"all tied together".

That sounds really cool.

Now, how do you do it?

Especially with those alarms you buy 3 to a package at eg Costco?

Possible?

THANKS!!!

David

Reply to