LG washing machines to cost Americans more — gues s who’s to blame?

LG has announced it’s upping the price of washing machines in the United States, thanks to a new import tax imposed by President Trump.
The firm said the tariffs on front- and top-loading machines will be largely passed on to US consumers wishing to buy LG’s white goods (via Reuters).
Tariffs on the company will be 20% on the first 1.2 million machines imported into the US, while anything beyond that will be levied with a 50% charge.
Trump’s new War On Foreign Washing Machines is part of the same ruling likely to undermine the growth of the solar industry in the United States.
30% tariffs will be placed on imported solar panels, largely from China, which has led to predictions that 26,000 jobs in the US could be at risk (via CNN).
“This reckless decision will threaten tens of thousands of American jobs and hurt our climate,” said Howard Crystal, a lawyer for the Center for Biological Diversity.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/lg-washing-machines-cost-americans-guess-whos-blame-3382288#3UL1XzhhLZJxoLE4.99
--
Bod

On 01/27/2018 06:13 AM, Bod wrote:

Only lazy welfare democrats that refuse to work and support themselves would be against this tariff.
On Saturday, January 27, 2018 at 8:13:14 AM UTC-5, taxPAYER wrote:

he United States, thanks to a new import tax imposed by President Trump.

rgely passed on to US consumers wishing to buy LG’s white goods (vi a Reuters).

ported into the US, while anything beyond that will be levied with a 50% ch arge.

ruling likely to undermine the growth of the solar industry in the United States.

, which has led to predictions that 26,000 jobs in the US could be at risk (via CNN).

ican jobs and hurt our climate,” said Howard Crystal, a lawyer for the Center for Biological Diversity.

uess-whos-blame-3382288#3UL1XzhhLZJxoLE4.99

uld be against this tariff.
I see, so you like to pay an extra $100 or $200 for a washing machine eh? W e all know you trumpets would be the first to complain about items costing more. And in the case of the solar tariffs, raising the panel price 30 per cent kills more jobs installing them, saves few jobs making them because 95 % are made overseas, and it raises the cost to consumers. But hey, Trump di d it, so it must be right because Trump is always right, never lies, etc.
trader_4 wrote:

The interesting point here is, there are no tariffs being applied to shoes, shirts, ties, jewelry, you know, all of those items that have the "Trump" name and are made overseas.
"Very Interesting" -Wilhelm von Nord Bach (Arte Johnson) Laugh-in
--
Truth Sounds Like Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth

On 01/27/2018 09:03 AM, Dove Tail wrote:

When buying small-ticket items, the vast majority of people buy the cheapest product on the rack.  Later, when they lose their job to a foreign worker, they blame the president for that too.
Bob Cobb wrote:

What's your point? Does it in anyway relate to the fact Trump hasn't implemented tariffs on the junk that he and his family import and sell under their name?
--
Truth Sounds Like Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth

On Saturday, January 27, 2018 at 11:47:55 AM UTC-5, Dove Tail wrote:

It's like H1B visas. During the campaign, Trump was for them one day, against them the next, because they take American jobs. The only consistent thing was that he imports H1B visa workers for his properties. He says he can't find American workers, so it's OK.
Did you see parts of what Trump said in Davos? It was all about him, trying to take credit for everything he could. And he was very creative, as usual. For example, he had statistics on jobs created, saying since I was elected, 2.6 mil new jobs have been created. So, he added in all the jobs created under Obama from Nov thru Jan. The truth is that slightly more jobs were created in 2016 under Obama than in 2017 under Trump. He claimed his tax cuts were the first since Reagan, a lie. He claimed his tax cuts were the biggest, another lie. His speech was about me, me, me, look at the great things I'm trying to take credit for.
And the trumpets claim he;s produced a booming economy. Yet we just got th e Q4 GDP number, it's 2.6%. That's decent, but nothing exceptional. Obama had many quarters with similar growth. The only thing that's changed is when it was 2.6% under Obama, it was a disaster, a recession, while under Trump it's amazing, tremendous, making America great again!
trader_4 wrote:

I simply do not understand how a person can be president of the United States, a self-declared billionaire and still be the most insecure person on the planet.
It boggles the mind.
--
Truth Sounds Like Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth

On Saturday, January 27, 2018 at 12:51:57 PM UTC-5, Dove Tail wrote:

It's simple really, it's a mental disorder. How about anorexics that look in the mirror and don't see a 90 lb emaciated body, but instead someone who is overweight?
On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 11:10:33 -0800 (PST), trader_4

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you. In a country that is actually doing fairly well, some think very well, he still gets 85% negative press.
On 1/27/18 12:58 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

(Credit: AP/Jim Cole) Secrets of the right-wing brain: New study proves it — conservatives see a different, hostile world Phony WMD, Benghazi, birthers, truthers — turns out there’s a scientific explanation for deniers and Tea Partyers
13382 PAUL ROSENBERG 07.29.2014•12:31 PM•404 COMMENTS "John Stuart Mill called it 'commonplace' for political systems to have 'a party or order or stability and a party of progress or reform.'" So begins a recent paper in the journal Behavioral and Brain Sciences. But is this "commonplace" observation rooted in our brains? Is it even true?
The paper, “Differences in negativity bias underlie variations in political ideology,” by lead author John R. Hibbing of the University of Nebraska, answers yes to both questions. It advances three successive waves of evidence, which combine to show that conservatives differ from liberals by having stronger, more intense reactions to negative aspects of the environment — such as physical threats, or potential sources of disease — which are ultimately physiological. At the same time, with multiple forms of mass hysteria going on at once, American conservatives seem dead set on proving the scientists right, and underscoring the importance of the work they're doing. ADVERTISING
Bod wrote:

Ivanka should add these bracelets to her collection, she, her husband and father will be wearing them very soon.
http://tinyurl.com/yamc9hgy
:-)
--
Truth Sounds Like Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth

On 01/27/2018 09:21 AM, Bob Cobb wrote:

Precisely, although even if you aren't looking for the cheapest item you still may not be keeping a US worker in a job. REI isn't known for their bargain prices but you have to look long and hard to walk out with something made in the US. I switched to Red Wing boots but you even have to do your research with those; not every one of their products are made in the US.
On 01/27/2018 06:13 AM, taxPAYER wrote:

The conservatives, who are conservative up to the point of saving a few bucks on a washing machine, will be against it too.

No great loss - my LG front load washer takes 1 hour 15 minutes for an average load ; the clothes aren't completely wet until about 12 minutes into the ordeal ; the "lint filter" catches zero lint and only serves to provides a sump for water to sit and become stinky. Its one good point is the high speed spin. If it's anything like Samsung - the electronics will fail at 5 years and cost more than the machine is worth to repair. I wish a USA manufacturer would build a non-electronic front loader - watch the grey-haired customers line up ! John T.
snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/lg-washing-machines-cost-americans-guess-whos-blame-3382288#3UL1XzhhLZJxoLE4.99

The Speedqueen FR3
https://www.speedqueen.com/products/front-load-washers/models/FR3
--
Truth Sounds Like Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth

Thanks for the link - I might be travelling to USA for my next washer ! ... seriously - unless a Canadian distributer gets smart and starts to import it. Before buying the LG - after exhaustive search - the only one I could find in my part of Canada was a Huebsch at almost $ 3,000.00 John T.
snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/lg-washing-machines-cost-americans-guess-whos-blame-3382288#3UL1XzhhLZJxoLE4.99

You are welcome, my pleasure.
I too am not fond of microprocessor controls on modern appliances. I installed a whole house surge suppressor to try and prevent damage to these system.
I also don't like the front loading washers, they seem to use less water and the clothes don't seem to get as clean as with the top loaders.
Last time I knew I was going to need a washer, I went to Craigslist and waited for an older, mechanical control Maytag to come up. I got really lucky, someone was selling one from a storage unit that hadn't been used in years. It was more than 30 years old and in perfect condition, got it for $25, brought it home and it has been running great for five years now. Didn't even need to replace the belt.
On 2018-01-27 8:38 AM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

You haven't narrowed down where your "part" is, Speed Queen is available at several western Canadian suppliers including Trail Appliances, the top loader sells for 1300.00 cdn

Kitchener Ontario.
http://www.taappliance.com 1 model Speed Queen front load $ 2300. http://www.goemans.com 2 models ~ $ 3,000. all electronic John T.