Lennox furnace / AC

Considering a Lennox Elite series heater and AC for replacement. I currently do not have AC but want to add it. Furnace is uh-60c-110 (g50 family) and the AC is 060 (hs29 family).

I live in So. Cal.

comments? thanks in advance.

Reply to
Joe

My Service/Installation experience with Lennox is good...although on one installation, the draft inducer fan motor took a very long time to come up to speed. More than usual. Then, on a recent service call on a Lennox 80% gas furnace, i had to replace a draft inducer assembly and the furnace was less than 8 years old.

Be aware that, major brands like Carrier, Trane, and Lennox all spend millions of dollars on marketing and advertising. thus, they load that money into thier product . If Brand Name recognition is important to you and you think it might be to the next buyer of your home...then Lennox is a good choice. There are other less familiar brands..at least to the HO...that are just as reliable, efficient, and function the same in operation... for a whole lot less money . Goodman for instance, is ranked number 2 in national residential heating and cooling equipment marketshare according to the documentation i have , yet they dont do TV/radio/superbowl game/billboard advertising ; they have a new line of equipment which came out a few y ears ago and has proven to be very reliable and well engineered. Oct. 1998 Consumer Reports gave high recognition to Goodman as a key player. I have Goodman in my house. Of course if you talk to a dedicated Lennox or Trane dealer, they are going to knock Goodman ...and every other brand virtually.

The choice is yours . Just be aware that as far as longevity is concerned, all the popular brands last about the same length.

Dave, Owner

Reply to
HVAC IsFun

As usual, Dave has enlightened us with his vast knowledge and experience. "This one installation, blah blah, oh and this one service call blah blah.

Ignore the meathead. Select your contractor based on the quality of his installation. Get references, ask a lot of questions. The brand means next to nothing without a quality installation. A contractor should do a load calculation and check/modify the rest of your existing system to provide the best comfort for your dollar.

Dave is just mad that he can't buy name brand equipment and has to install Goodman since they will sell to anyone.

- Robert, (I don't need my title on the line to feel big.)

Reply to
American Mechanical

Joe:

First and foremost, ignore Daves comments. Thus far, the only information that any of us legit contractors have found on him is that hes got weird sexual thoughts about his customers kids, and that he got run out of the UK for something of that nature. Hes on a personal crusade to stir up as much hate and discontent as he can in the pros group....and failing miserably...hence, his presence here.

Second. As a former contractor in HVAC formerly of Palm Springs CA, and someone that is out there each and every year, one thing remains the same in your area.... Lennox is still the hardest unit to get parts for, and they are the most expensive. Also, there are two brands that I saw that held up under the harsh desert conditions, and Lennox was not one of them. If you are in the SanDiego area, your summers are not as harsh, but you still want the most for your money.

Consider getting other quotes. Consider other brands.

Reply to
CBhVAC:)

Personnally, I had a not so good experience with a Lennox Oil Burner furnace in my previous home. When I switched to gas, I had a Carrier furnace and A/C system installed. The contractor was extremely good....removed the old oil burner without a trace of "soot" anywhere.

When I moved into my current house, I had the two propane furnaces replaced....and I went back to this same contractor. Didn't have a problem with the previous Carrier furnace or A/C and this contractor did excellent work....it might be a hundred or two more, but it's well worth it not to have problems in the near future.

Good luck.

Reply to
Mark

I have a Lennox furnace that came with my brand new house 3 years ago. It's generally been a crappy, cheaply made furnace. It partially filled with water last winter and there was no way to drain it without a technician. The tech, who services all types of furnaces said that Lennox has really been cheap in the quality department over the last several years and said Carrier is by far the best (note: he doesn't sell them, he's only a repair tech).

Just my experience.

Reply to
Dirk Puslich

thanks for sharing that!

Reply to
rosie read and post

Damn right Carriers the best....that and Goodman..:) They look at customers like test subjects, and when a part fails out of warranty..whoohoo...look out.. In other words, from a techs point of view, they are great..:)

Reply to
CBhVAC:)