LED Bulb dying

Exactly. I had a good supplier that went through the ISO certification. They made nothing but crap after that and I dropped them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

From Wikipedia on ISO9000: > The standard is seen as especially prone to failure when a company is

If one thinks like a business school graduate, then he needs certificates and other paper to 'prove' his accomplishments. Spread sheets are somehow proof. If one comes from where the work gets done, then most of the paper work already exists in a form that addresses the many aspects of actual operations.

Business school graduates focus on paper work (ie spread sheets) that are only reporting on things that really happened four to ten years ago. Product people focus paper necessary to better support the customer, innovate a product, and maintain standards that defined a quality product.

I cannot say how many times I have seen business school graduates use cost controls as if that makes a better product. In reality, cost controls typically result in higher costs. But you cannot tell that to someone enthrall by the certification rather than learn how the work gets done.

When ISO9000 does not work, then search for an eliminate the reason for failure - a business school graduate who never learned how the work gets done. Worst company president is the guy who was previously a CFO. His existence explains why ISO9000 does not work.

Reply to
westom

What you need to understand is that what Clare posted is correct. The definition of "quality" most people think of is not what ISO and similar define quality as. For example, we say, "that's a quality wrench", meaning that it's well built, nice and shiny, solid, close tolerances. But for quality measurement and monitoring purposes, the definition of quality is a product that meets the specification. You can be making cheap wrenches, that rust easily, that have wide tolerances, that have rough edges, but if that is what is spec'd for the product, then the product that meets it coming off the line is good and counted as such when monitoring whether the product meets the quality standard or not.

"If you just want the certificate on the wall,

Reply to
trader_4

On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 11:44:04 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ..snip...

Jumping in late here as I hadn't been following this thread.

Please explain your math. You spent $18 to replace the module that is now on the shelf. You spend $22 on the module that is in the laptop.

If the one of the shelf effectively cost you $40, then wasn't the one in the laptop effectively free?

It seems like it was going to cost you *something* to get your laptop up and running (either $18 or $22), so why do feel that the total amount that you spent is sitting on the shelf?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Inquiring minds have to wonder how it could cost $18 to ship a memory module for a laptop? I just shipped a box that's 26x9x8 that weighs

6 lbs from NJ to CA via Fed Ex economy ground for $13. A memory module should cost less than $5 to ship.
Reply to
trader_4

I'm thinking Canada to California, electronics, customs, etc.

I could be wrong, just my thoughts.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

What part of "lifetime warrantee" did you miss???

If I had a "better brand" lifetime warranted module it would not have cost me anything to get it replaced - just take it back to the supplier and walk out with a new one.

Reply to
clare

Traceable from Canada to Cali - $18 for "slow donkey express" - almost double that for 2 day, and even more for "next day"

Reply to
clare

Best warranties are often found on least reliable products. With numerous fine print exemptions. There is no replacement for spec numbers that actually claim it does what it is suppose to do.

Reply to
westom

But you didn't have a ""better brand" lifetime warranted module". You had what you had. Why bring hypotheticals into this?

The module on the shelf cost you $18, not $40. The one in the laptop cost you $22.

Regardless of how *you* want to do the math, you either wasted $22 by being impatient or you wasted $18 "just on principal". Either way, the one on the shelf did *not* cost you $40.

Reply to
DerbyDad03