Leak in Cast Iron Drain in Basement

The drain in our basement, which is overhead in the basement coming down from the first floor toilet and kitchen, is so corroded now i put my finger through it while trying to feel for a leak. I have it wrapped in a boatload of duct tape, but before the plumber comes tomorrow, I want to know from anyone out there if a plumber can fix a section of this fairly easily? Can the corroded portion be cut out and replaced?? Thanks!

Reply to
Jeffy3

The drain in our basement, which is overhead in the basement coming down from the first floor toilet and kitchen, is so corroded now i put my finger through it while trying to feel for a leak. I have it wrapped in a boatload of duct tape, but before the plumber comes tomorrow, I want to know from anyone out there if a plumber can fix a section of this fairly easily? Can the corroded portion be cut out and replaced?? Thanks!

Reply to
Jeffy3

If there is good solid pipe above and below the "patch", it can be cut out and replaced with iron or PVC. Without seeing it, that is about all the help I can offer.

Reply to
Colbyt

It's a relatively easy and not too expensive fix, BUT, not necessarily a good one. If it's corroded in this place, it is probably corroded elsewhere. Perhaps the rest will last another 20 years, or six months or will fall apart while the plumber is cutting out the current corroded section.

Reply to
Marilyn and Bob

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Just wrap one full (large size) roll of duct tape over each foot of pipe. Wrap the entire pipe from where it enters the basement floor all the way to the roof. So, if you have 30 feet of pipe, buy 30 rolls of duct tape. Be sure the pipe is completely dry, and wrap tightly. This should last years, and if a leak occurs, just wrap more tape.

Reply to
Who Me?

Plumber came to check it out this morning. Will be replacing two sections. The piece with the biggest leak is horizontal, and the one elbow leading to it seems pretty fragile (when you tap on it the sound is very tinny). The rest of it seems okay though (I hope!)

Reply to
Jeffy3

yes. but what about the rest of the pipe,, is it also rotten or just half rotten??? a full length of PVC pipe cant cost much and will get rid of the problem... the high cost of labor will hit you, so do it yourself and save....

Reply to
jim

I think Duct tape should be licensed product to prevent its misuse!

Reply to
Colbyt

Good Luck. If the plumber is any good, he should be able to determine what needs replacement.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

How about a constructive suggestion for what I should use in the meantime while we await the plumber?

Reply to
Jeffy3

I believe PVC is illegal in my town believe it or not.

Reply to
Jeffy3

Reply to
Michael Baugh