Lawn mower throttles?

My friend has a lawn mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine that has no throttle control. And that Craftsman lawn mower that I posted about before, with a Craftsman engine, also has no throttle control.

Can I add one to each of them. Why don't they have them in the first place?

(PS. The Craftsman I posted about a couple months ago seems to be running now, at least for 5 minutes (see next post for follow-up on my previous problem) but it has a 6.5 HP engine that will only run at full speed. It ran so fast, it sucked up all the pine needles from beneath the tree, and I could see that there was no grass, only dirt. The 2.5 HP engines mowed the lawn well enough without sucking up the pine needles. If I had grass there it would be ok to suck them up, but it's so shady and I walk on it so much, I don't think I can grow grass. At any rate, I don't want to run the engine at full blast, even if maybe it is more efficient that way?)

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

Every small engine I have seen has a governor speed control that automtically adjustd the throtlle to try to maintina a fixed speed. If the engine also has a user throttle control, this just adjusts the auto setting. So yes you should be able to add a spring or something to slow down an engine.

CAUTION, an engine with a defective governer can run VERY fast and self destruct prehaps in a dangerous manner. Do NOT do anything that overides the governor control such that it cannot slow it down.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

In alt.home.repair on 22 Jan 2005 14:13:06 -0800 "Mark" posted:

Thanks. I wanted to be able to add a lever on the handlebar, so it would be like all the lawn mowers I have had until now.

OK. I'll be careful.