Lawn mower question

Had a self-propelled lawn mower. I was trying to mow some thick grass and it had bogged down a couple of times. I heard a crack or a snap and it stopped. When I started it back up again, it seems to run, but there is a thick grey smoke being seen. Did I manage to screw things or can it be fixed (easily).

Reply to
Kurt V. Ullman

Is this a guessing game ? What's the prize ? Do we get any more information or hints ? I suggest that you place the mower at the curb with a sign on it - free to good home, ps: what is your address ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

IDK, sounds like she's ready for the crapper.

Normally bogging it down like that, which you shouldn't do, will just stall it. But since you heard a crack and it's now blowing smoke, sounds like something bad happened internal to the engine. If it was anything other than that, it should self clear in a minute or two. How long was it running and smoking? Check the oil level? Not overfilled? On the other hand, I'm having a hard time imagining what stalling it like that would cause to fail that would produce the smoke.

Reply to
trader_4

It hasn't self cleared. I let it set for about 10 minutes, went out started it up, still blowing smoke. I don't hear any specific rattling, etc, but it loud anyway. It is about 6 years old, so I am leaning toward using it until it detonates and then go get a new one. It had bogged down many times over the 20 minutes or so I was using it before the weirdness started. Oil wasn't overfilled as I had changed it earlier in the summer and using it since then with no problems. THere are now little spots on the mower that look like oil being thrown off.

Reply to
Kurt V. Ullman

Overheated. Micro-siezed. Damaged cyl and/or rings. It's toast.

Reply to
clare
[snip]

The first time I started my mower this year, it was smoking heavily. I found the filter was really dirty. Changing it stopped the smoke.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd