Latex vs Oil based paints

I just built some shelves for my study and used a latex paint on the inside, front, and sides. I just found out that I can't use the latex paint for the actual shelves. Looking at the posts from other groups it is recomended that I use an oil base paint so my books... won't stick to the shelves. Anyway, can you tell me if I'm going to see a big color difference between the latex if I use the oil base on my shelves?

Reply to
villafum

I wouldn't think Latex would be a problem after a month or so, but perhaps it is. For shelving I'd prefer melamine or something similar for ease of cleaning. Perhaps you can paint them a contrasting color so it looks like you did it "on purpose"? ;-)

Reply to
krw

I have a painted bookshelf , mainly paperbacks , and I havent had any problems .

Painted with an interior latex . Allow full drying time , and then some .

Reply to
marks542004

Reply to
nospambob

With flat latex they wont stick after it cures with gloss it can, oil might peal if the latex doesnt cure out for a month.

Reply to
m Ransley

As you might have guessed villafum, there is a difference between drying and curing. Frankly, I don't know the answer to your question, if books might stick after time even to cured latex. However, you certainly would not want to put anything on it after just drying for a day or 2.

Reply to
jeffc

You won't notice a color difference.

Reply to
Karl S

???

Why not? Inquiring minds want to know...

Looking at the posts from other groups

Reply to
aspasia

I've recently finished a linen closet with home made MDF shelving. We use oil-based white gloss exterior paint for everything we can because it is ridiculously strong. After two days, we put everything from linens to tools on these shelves and haven't marred or scratched them one bit.

I've never used latex paint to cover a shelf...and that's because I know how well oil-based paints work for the purpose....not too mention that you can get a gallon of white oil-based at Walmart for about $15. (don't forget the paint thinner too...$4/gallon)

I have rolled on this oil-based white paint on a 40 year old iron tub with a lousy finish as well as a tile shower surround. After 6 months, it is as glossy and beautiful as the day I finished the final coat. (we did about 4 coats with about a weeks drying between for that project). The finish is amazing, as you can really thin the final coat or two with thinner and eliminate all brush strokes and imprefections that I've experienced with latex based paint (especially exterior versions)

Now that I know how durable oil-based pa> On 4 Nov 2006 18:52:47 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: >

Reply to
kellyj00