Larger seats (plumbing)

My mom asked me to come and look at her shower. She said that for years the water pressure upstairs has been rather weak. She and dad preferred to shower in the shower down stairs because the pressure was better. She was told by a plumber years ago that she should have larger 'seats' put in, that she would get more pressure.

I wasn't aware that there were larger seats. Is this true? I used to use that shower when I was a kid, and I don't remember the pressure being bad. I think that there is a blockage,,, possibly a piece of an old washer that broke loose and plugging things.

any thoughts?

Reply to
dave

Pretty unlikely that there are larger seats. The first thing you should try is taking off the shower head and checking to see if it is loaded up with crud. I would agree that you might have bits of washer causing the problem too.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

It is a brand new shower head. The problem is also at the faucet below (for the tub). Tells me that the problem is before the first spout. Don't know how to get to it.

Reply to
dave

Last Christmas, I replaced a washer in my shower. For a couple of months afterward there were unexpected pressure drops. When that happened, I could remove the shower head and find pieces of a broken washer stuck in it.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

A brand new *lower* volume shower head? Don't know how old your house is, but they sell a lot of those now.

Reply to
mm