Laminated flooring problem

I'm disabled so I had a contractor laydown laminated flooring in my kitchen - three years ago. He put in a 2" metal threshold between the floor and the carpeting.

The problem is that the laminate is starting to chip. When I removed the threshold, I saw the cause of the problem. Te contractor failed to cut under the door frame and the threshold does not extend far enough to get a good grip on the laminate.

Fixing it: - I have yet to find a 2-1/2" threshold, but I will keep looking. HomeDepot has only 2" and 3". Any ideas?

- I'm going to have to cut under the door frame. Other than buying a Multimate or one of its competitors, any ideas will be appreciated.

I love alt.home.repair.

Want free tax advice, see misc.taxes.moderated. It's almost as good as alt.home.repair - no spam, no off topic!

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

***

Then it's *better* than alt.home.repair. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

No, alt.home.repair has more people giving constructive advice and more people adding to or correcting that constructive advice.

I ought to know as I sue one and moderator the other. ;)

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

On 1/11/2011 1:45 PM Dick Adams spake thus:

Sorry, can't help you with the threshold, other than to say you might ought to look in places other than Home Despot. Have you tried flooring suppliers? In my experience, they'll have a better variety.

You might also try Ikea for this.

Regarding cutting under the door frame, get yourself the Harbor Freight "multipurpose" tool. I got mine (non-variable-speed) for $35, and it's going great after many jobs. For wood, you can use the "half-moon" blade that comes with it.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Sounds like you maybe your news server filters the constant "Harry-I hate the USA" posts?

You may want to check with regular carpet/floor covering type stores instead of restricting your search.

Reply to
George

He and the other patients in the closed psych ward are in my "Burn-Before-Read" file!

Thank you for an excellent idea!

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

Thank you. $35 is better than $99!

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

? "David Nebenzahl" wrote

Home Depot sells a "dovetail saw" with offset handle for about $12. Problem is, you have to actually move your arm back and forth to make it cut. If the HF saw was available when I did mine, I'd have bought th at instead. Pulling a trigger is always better than manual labor!

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski