Laminate floors in the kitchen?

Yes or no? My main concern is that laminate is moisture-sensitive and in the kitchen you're bound to spill things or just splash water on the floor. Will this harm laminate floor? And what about moisture-resistant laminates some brands offer?

Thanks. D

Reply to
dmitry.freitor

I have it in my kitchen as a temp fix till I could get to the ceramic. At that time there was no moisture resistant available. It's down 7 years as I still have not gotten around to putting down the tile. It's as good as the day it went down - cept for 1 area where the cats water dish is.

I put down the moisture resistent tile in the spare washroom. It's down

4 years and has held up really well - caulk the edges well.
Reply to
robson

So, what happened in the area where cat's water dish is? It's exactly the kind of thing that worries me (I've no cats, but 2 toddlers).

Reply to
dmitry.freitor

On 3 Apr 2006 11:54:22 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@citigroup.com wrote: I have good quality laminate flooring in both kitchen and bathrooms and we love it. Pick a good quality product, we took home a sample plank and left it in a pail of water overnight for testing. After the sample dries you will have your answer. jesse

Reply to
Jesse

There's laminate and there's laminate. We have higher end water resistant laminate throughout our kitchen, powder room, laundry and family room. My flooring supplier has the same thing in his home.

I have put regular, mid grade laminate into clients' kitchens and baths ... no problems reported.

Yes, pools of water will eventually harm any floor. Wipe em up asap.

Ken

Reply to
bambam

Laminate floors are a bitch to keep clean!

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

I like our Wilson Art laminate because it is so easy to clean You are either doing something wrong or have cheap laminate.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The laminates are made from a more durable version of the counter tops in most kitchens so water is not a problem. Go with a good brand, not the cheap crap from the dollar store.

or
for starters.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I put laminate (the kind that looks like tile) in my parent's kitchen for them. One month later the supply line to the ice maker leaked and a good portion of the floor is ruined. All of the edges are turned up.

I myself put 600 square feet of Wilsonart Red Label in my family room and now have a 2 by 3 area where the edges are turning up which never had standing water on it as far as I know (right in the middle of the room).

I *was* a believer because I have dogs, but I could not now in good concience recommend laminate to anyone except perhaps in a bedroom.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

Pergo in a kitchen shows all dirt since the finish is so smooth and uniform. A more natural looking product would not be so hard to upkeep.

Reply to
m Ransley