Laminate floor in bathroom

I'm helping my son remodel his bathroom, and he's considering putting in a laminate floor. What we're wondering is if the thickness of the flooring will affect the sealing of the toilet. It looks like the ring will be flush with the laminate if he uses it. We don't want to have to do anything with the ring; it's iron and so is the line from it.

TIA

Web Site:

David Starr

You can buy thicker wax seals or double them up. There are also flange spacers made for this, though I don't think that much would be needed for a laminate floor. Though I'm not sure I'd use a laminate floor around water. Bathrooms just beg for tile.

Reply to
Keith Williams

I have learned from tiling experts that one should not double up a wax rings to accomodate a higher floor. They have a tendency to leak when you do that. Instead, use a single rubber ring designed for a higher floor.

BRW

Reply to
bennet

Any standing water will void their warranty.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Ewwww, The rubbber ones hold water. DO NOT USE THE RUBBER ONES

There like using a sponge. Use a spacer (If needed) and the 40% more wax rings from RONA.

Don't take advice from a tiler about plumbing...

Reply to
troy

I'm in the midst of installing a Tarkett floor. The directions specifically say it is not for use in bathrooms.

David Starr wrote:

Reply to
Stubby

Laminate flooring really isn't suitable for a bathroom, toilet, kitchen or any anywhere else it's probably going to get wet (sooner or later).

A good quality vinyl (with a wood grain design if that's what you like) will look very similar -- they're both just photographs after all. But the vinyl will withstand any number of soakings. The laminate will likely be ruined by one small accident.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

That's what I'm thinking. I'm going to talk him into a woodgrain pattern vinyl.

Web Site:

David Starr

Hi Dave,

There are some laminate manufacturers who have products perfectly suitable for a bathroom. There are also installation methods that aren't always published in the DIY instructions with the product. You can ask the pros at

and I'll bet you will find the answers you need.

Of course, most of us would like to see you put down a ceramic or even sheet vinyl floor in a bath, but I have done plenty of laminate flooring in waterborne areas. With the right installation practices and precautions, you'll have a great floor that will last many years

-- and be guaranteed too.

R'gards,

Jim

Reply to
Jim McClain

Read the Mannington warranty. If installed correctly (silicone outside edges) they guarantee it unless it is an insurance claim type flood (broken pipe). My parents have had Mannington laminate in 2 baths, a laundry and kitchen for 3 years and it looks brand new.

Reply to
Art

Read my Mannington laminate post before changing his mind on laminate. Vinyl is virtually uncleanable in my experience and always giving off vinyl smell.

Reply to
Art