Laminate and floor gap...

Installed a Laminate floor for the first time yesterday...although it went quite well it was far from perfect. We have some spots that are just under a inch from the wall from the flooring. I know baseboard will cut this down (the gap), but what is the best way of hiding this gap?

Baseboard and shoe molding? or do they make baseboard at around 1" thick? Thanks

Reply to
Jason

baseboard and shoe molding would be the standard way of dealing with it.

Reply to
marson

If the gap is small enough, you can insert a shim between the lower portion of the baseboard and the wall. The top of the baseboard is in the same location it would be without the shim, while the bottom of the baseboard is 'pushed' slightly away from the wall.

I did it along one 15" wall in my house after a hardwood installation. I dry-fitted some cardboard 'shims' (from a box of hardwood of course!) behind the baseboard, and once I verified that the gap was covered I simply tacked it in place. I can't tell the difference, and my wife was pleased enough :)

Realize that this technique has it's limitations. Trying to cover a large gap may give you undesired results...but it doesn't really hurt to dry-fit!

Good luck, Dave

Jas> Installed a Laminate floor for the first time yesterday...although it

Reply to
dave_bonnell

Thanks for all the replies everyone...I just did some measuring...seems the gaps are about 3/4 inch and less around the whole floor. So do they make baseboard molding that would cover that gap alone?

Reply to
Jason

yes they do. you can order a 3/4" base trim

for example) from lumberyards.. you could also make it in pieces--a 1x4 with a piece of cove molding on top, for one example. but why would you resist base shoe? one thing nice about a shoe is that it can be forced to follow the contours of the floor, it can cover the gap between the floor and the base trim.

Reply to
marson