Knife sharpening difficulties

I've got a Victorinox Officier in the junk drawer that I found on the side of a road. I never tried to sharpen it. I suppose if I ever need a corkscrew it will be handy. I recall from my student days where somebody would show up at a party with a bottle of wine with a cork and hilarity would ensue. My taste ran to Silver Satin. If you didn't want to drink the crap you could always pickle a pike.

rbowman

Knife is apparently rare and has some value. I note people have put them up for auction but do not know how much they got for them.

Reply to
Frank

Can't imagine having only one knife. I have at least a dozen. Not counting kitchen knives.

Reply to
Frank

It's not the 1800's anymore. I outgrew having a knife when I was about 8 years old. I see people carrying them, though, so I guess there must be something they're still used for.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I've got two Swiss army knives. Both given to me. Sometimes I use the blade when sharpness is not important. The attachments sometimes come in handy.

Reply to
Frank

I have a about dozen within arms reach, everything from an Opinel #8 for opening mail to a Randall Model 5 for serious work.

Reply to
rbowman

The only pocket knife I carried was this

Think I bought it in 1964 and used it for my 4 years in the Navy. No idea when it disappeared. It would come in handy for cutting line, splicing, etc. No marlinespike though. But since I was a boilerman in a fireroom its use was limited to sharpening, shaving my forearms and calves, then sharpening again....and again. Don't think it ever saw a rope, but came in handy for passing the time of many watches. Bought one for my SIL, an electrician, but don't know if he ever used it. Probably should have given him some sidecutters.

Reply to
Vic Smith