Kitchen sink drainage problem

I noticed recently that anytime I use my kitchen sink, the soap sods leaks to the second bowl. Is this an indication of a drainage problem ? I have just replaced the sink and the pipes. Thanks.

Reply to
Malam

2 bowl sinks use a TEE fitting in the drain (either horizontal or vertical TEE). The TEE should have a baffle plate inside to help prevent flow backing into the other bowl. Some work better than others. To see if the drain is partially blocked, fill one bowl with water, then suddenly pull the stopper. Water should drain rapidly and should not back up into the other side.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

When I run the disposal while running soapy water thru it, I get suds in the larger adjacent sink. No big deal, but if water also comes up, you may have a blockage below the tee.

Reply to
Roger

Jim, probly got this one, you may not have a baffle at all. Mine doesn't, I replaced my drains, mostly to gain more space by replacing two P traps directly under each sink by one closer to the back wall. I think my minor 'back flow' is mostly caused by the lack of seperate P traps, without the resistance of the trapped water under the second sink, the resistance in the one trap causes that momentary up flow. There's a bit of problem with my vent stack too cause I do sometimes get a real nice gurgle especially if I drain both full sinks at once. I do that with really hot water and bleach from time to time to clean the sink and maybe force anything on thru the drain pipes, So check your vent. I might not have quite enough slope to my drains from sink to sink to verticle above the P either, the dishwasher usually doesn't cause any backflow, but I may have used the right kind of T there and it connects way lower just above the P. Then again a big ol' hop toad may have wedged hiself in there. That's usually the cause of the problems in the drain i installed tryin to keep rain floods out of my slowly sinkin garage. Boy, does that toad look s'prised when he finally makes his way upstream and out from what he thought was a nice comfy home.

Reply to
lurking licker