Kitchen exhaust fan - gunk from chimney

Greetings!

I've just bought an old house where the upright stove sits in a cavity which once upon a time must have been a fire place in the kitchen. I've had the chimney swept, rendered the cavity and had a new oven/stovetop installed.

NOW I need to install some sort of rangehood exhaust. My question is, in the month since I had the chimney swept, every day I get a little charcoal dust fall down from the existing chimney onto my new stove. So if I get a rangehood installed, yes it will stop this black gunk from falling onto the stove top, but won't it simply be banking up into the rangehood? I've seen some extendible aluminium piping (for want of a better word) which kinda looks like what people use for ducted heating. Would it be wise to use something like that to connect from the top of the rangehood, and go right to the top of the chimney?

Brian

Reply to
Brian

Are you expecting to vent out the chimney? Generally not a good idea.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Yes I am. In my mind, the piping would be attached to the rangehood at the bottom, then the top of the piping would be at the top of the chimney. Thus allowing all the cooking exhaust to flow up, and any chimney gunk, when it does fall, will only fall onto the side of the rangehood but not into the part of the rangehood with the fan or any other potentially vulnerable bits.

Brian

Reply to
bp

So you are planning or not planning to line the chimney with metal pipe? If so are you not planning to seal it top and bottom?

Frankly I believe I would want to make sure everything meets LOCAL codes, which we can't answer here, and it was looked over by someone experienced with chimneys before going ahead. The condition of your chimney would be a major concern for me.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan