Kitchen Aid Dryer broke last night, still produces heat, but doesn't spin

Hello I have an electric Kitchen Aid 'heavy duty' washer and dryer in my garage. They came with the house, they could be 10 yrs old, but I'm not sure. Last night the dryer broke. It still produces heat, the light still goes on when you open the door, but they barrel doesn't spin. I reached in and turned it by hand and it does move, so its not obstructed. It just seems like the gears/belt/chain or whatever is the drive mechanism has broken. A year or two ago something similar happened with the washing machine and I was able to fix it with the help and parts provided by someone on this forum, so I'm hoping to get lucky again. Thanks.

Sounds like the belt broke. I'm surprised it would still produce heat. Usually there is a tensioner pulley connected to a switch. When the belt breaks it opens the circuit, preventing the dryer from even coming on at all.

Reply to
Mikepier

Belt broken or off. Front or top of the drier should come off. Top id the more common access for front loaders. Might have clips that you need to release with a thin screwdriver.

Not many have a switch on the tensioner. Most rely on a heat activated safety switch.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

As others have said, it's almost always the belt. It's a simple repair, but I'd always replace the drum pads with the belt. It's pretty easy and you're in there anyway. For instructions and parts do a web search using the dryer's make and model number. You should find everything you need. If you're at all handy, the repair might take an hour the first time you do it.

Reply to
keith

The hardest part of this is getting the front loose, usually the top pops off being held by two clips at the front left and front right- hand corners. Lift the top while pushing a thin screwdriver into the clips. Once the top is up, you will need to prop it against something to avoid it going completely back and breaking whatever serves for rear hinges. The front just pulls forward, when you do that the drum will likely fall down with no front support. I use a couple of 2x4 scraps to hold the drum up. The belt is easy to replace, the only problem is getting it to go around the tensioner pulley correctly. I am sure someone here can better describe how to do this. But don't be afraid to tackle the job, it is really very easy compared to what you did on the washing machine.

Reply to
hrhofmann

"X" wrote

Probably the belt. Get some info at

Ed Pawlowski

I just ordered the parts. Thanks all.

By the way, there is no such thing as a heavy duty washer or dryer. This is a marketing gimmick. To you, it means stronger components for greater durability, while to the retailer it means the capacity of the machine. As long as the buyer keeps thinking the former, the retailer will content.

Reply to
AE Todd