Killing fire ant colony under house - concrete slab so no crawl space

Fire ants are definitely very common, that is true, but from what I've seen= and read the type of outbreak we have is rather atypical. Even the folks = at our local county ag extension office haven't heard of such an indoor inf= estation of fire ants like we have before. Our bug guy treated the ants as= if they were coming from the walls by baiting outside and spot spraying in= side, and we've not seen one single ant in the yard since... so yes that is= working. But in our situation they're under the house which takes more wo= rk. Until we found the massive line of ants from the sand trap there never= were trails to bait per say. I would see a few here or a few there, but t= he few trails I saw were always at night or early in the morning when the b= ug guy wasn't around.

But Termidor in the sand traps has worked with the infestation, but given t= here's still paths for ants to come in through the pipes in the foundation = (and their enzyme trails are now all over the place) we still have worker a= nts coming in all too often. So hopefully with more aggressive chemicals u= sed in the walls where the pipes are that'll kill the few worker ants that = do try to make it in and hopefully detour them all together eventually. I = don't know how long it takes an ant colony to die out without water or food= , but given they have zero ways to get inside hopefully they'll move elsewh= ere if the bait outside doesn't do the trick sooner.

Reply to
Alex

Our bug guy came out yesterday and sprayed a chemical around the pipes in t= he kitchen and both bathrooms that will pretty much kill the ants on contac= t. The sand traps still have Termidor which will hopefully keep them at ba= y there, but we'll see if this along with some extra bait along side the ho= use will work.

The bug guy did suggest that when the weather gets to the 70's and 80' to p= ut some potato chips on the ground around the house and see if the ants com= e out to forge. If so put some Amdro around the area and see if they pick = that up to carry back to the nest. If we can definitively get some of that= to the queen(s) that should hopefully knock out the colony.

But thus far we're seeing fewer and fewer ants each week, so hopefully the = spray he put down yesterday will help keep them at bay for the time being a= nyway.

Reply to
Alex