Kero will go up with oil.
Your furnace is likely thermostatically controlled & you can set that
as low as you like. It will shut off rather than continuing to
throw off useless heat like a kero heater.
They are a safety hazard and some insurance companies don't want you
to use them.
Your house will smell like Kero and be covered in a black film by
They are a major PITA- you need to keep running out and buying kero.
There are 2 places that sell kero in my area. One is 6 miles west,
the other is 5 miles east. It never fails, that whenever I need
kero for my salamander heater, the first one I go to is out of Kero--
so then I go to the other & 1/2 the time it will have some. The
other 1/2 of the time I've just wasted a gallon of gas and still can't
run the damn heater.
Your best bet to save fuel is to insulate your house, seal up your
windows, install storm doors, and turn your thermostat down. Safer,
cleaner, easier, and more bag for your buck.
I get a laugh out of people like you. As if we dont all know this
stuff by now.
How about this. Everytime I'm told to insulate and save energy I do
In the past 10 years I added so much insulation that I only have about
25 square feet left to live in. This house was originally 1800 square
feet. I added storm windows and more and more windows. I can no
longer see the windows. I added weather stripping to the doors, I
cant find the doors anymore. I turned off all lights and used smaller
and smaller bulbs, and I can no longer see my dinner when I eat. I
turned down my thermostat, from 70 to 60, then 50, then 40, 30, 20,
and it would not go any lower, so I just shut off the furnace. Three
days later I died from freezing. It took the coroner's office 5 days
to cut thru all the insulation to get my body out of the house.
On 10/28/2010 2:31 AM, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
Oh ha ha.
There is no need to over insulate, but most old houses have major holes
in the thermal envelope. Often it is no insulation in the walls. Adding
storm windows or added insulation in the attic will have little impact
if you have a big heat leak elsewhere. Most people think only attic and
windows, so it is important that the point is made that they may very
well be pouring money down the drain by missing insulation where it
really is needed.
I'm not in the trade, but I've seen enough old houses to know that
any wall insulation was rare before the 60's and decent insulation
wasn't common until 20 years later.
I can tell you for an absolute fact that if you have nothing in the
walls your house depends on having cheap energy, and those days are long
I turned off all lights and used smaller
Wick heaters carbon up, clog and become less efficient as the wick ages.
Monitor kerosene heaters ARE popular and burn clean and are vented.
Propane is much better for space heating; no wicks to mess with.
I'd still go with vented propane though. If you house is air tight, you
could die from carbon monoxide posioning with ventless.
Simple job, assist the assistant of the physicist.
For the simple reason that kerosene has become absurdly impractical,
I used to have a kerosene space heater. Worked great. Many friends
up in the hills had Alladin kerosene lamps. This was when grade B
kerosene was only $1.80 gal. Grade A, only a bit more.
Last time I saw kerosene, it was on sale at the local feed and grain
store. It was $8.00 gal!! Who the hell can afford that? A little
later, I tried selling a near new 24,000 btu kerosene htr. It cost
about $150 new. I couldn't sell it for $30. Ended up tossing it. No
place I currently know sells kerosene htrs. Why bother?
Ever use one? I remember when folks used to say "this is great, you
can't even smell it (after it burned your sense of smell out) or tell I
am using it (and you could write your name on a window and had teary
eyes for two hours after you left their house).
Since I've used kerosene heaters on and off for the last 20 years or so,
I'll give you the benefit of my experience.
They're good for *temporary* space heating, but with some gotchas:
o Since they emit bad stuff (CO & CO2), only use them in well-ventilated
spaces. I wouldn't use it in a small, well-sealed room with all doors
and windows closed.
o I would never use one unattended, either when you're not home or while
you're sleeping. I only fire mine up when I'm awake and up and about.
o As others have said, kerosene isn't cheap. But the good news is that
the small heaters I have use fuel pretty conservatively. I still have
most of a 5-gallon can left over from last winter.
o Don't expect them to heat a large room. They're good for sort of
"spot" use, like when you're sitting while reading, etc. They can take
the chill off a larger room, but not bring it up to room temperature.
o You need to learn to adjust them properly. The only time they smoke,
if they're adjusted right, is right after being lit before they get hot
enough to turn the catalytic burner red-hot. After they're hot you need
to adjust the burner so the flame doesn't go much above the screen on
top. Otherwise you'll get smoke coming out.
If properly adjusted there's surprisingly little odor once they're
red-hot. They're pretty efficient at fully combusting the fuel.
The fashion in killing has an insouciant, flirty style this spring,
with the flaunting of well-defined muscle, wrapped in flags.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.