Kenmore washer tub problem

I have a 1991 Kenmore/Whirlpool model 110.82993100 direct drive automatic washer. The problem is the tub/agitator assembly does not sit properly; it leans to the left side of the cabinet as I face the washer. The problem has gotten so bad there is now a wear mark on the inside left panel of the cabinet and water flows over the top of the tub ring, which is the base for the bleach and softener dispensers, when filling. I have done a lot of searching on the internet but haven't found an instance of a tub assembly leaning to the left side, only the right. I followed up on a number of the suggestions I found, but to no avail. I have done the following:

=B7 I checked for level on all four edges before I removed the cabinet. =B7 I checked for level on all four edges of the base after removing the cabinet. =B7 The three suspension plate springs and the counterweight spring are all in place. All four springs are slightly expanded. =B7 The base pads appear to be in reasonable shape but are somewhat worn.(More about this later) =B7 The balance ring on the top of the washer is OK. I found an item on the net suggesting the suspension plate could be twisted. It was slightly out of alignment but not twisted. I lined it up but as soon as the tub is allowed to rest back against it, it slides out of place again and the tub leans back to the left. The only thing stopping the tub from leaning farther over is the two tabs protruding from the bottom of the tub down past the suspension plate. When the tub is allowed to sit freely, the tabs come to rest on the suspension plate. Since I feel the suspension pads may be worn, I inserted spacers just to see if I could achieve level. That failed. The tub slid back to its left lean position again.

Now for my questions:

=B7 If I replace the base pads, should I replace the suspension plate pads also? If so, how do I go about getting at the suspension plate pads to change them? =B7 Is there any way to check if the springs need to be replaced? =B7 Is there something else for which I should be looking or checking? Is there a possibility of something being bent somewhere (eg agitator shaft, suspension plate, base assembly)? If something this major needs replacing then a decision has to be made about replacing the machine.

I would appreciate any help I can get. I don't mind having to do more work, just want to be reasonably certain it is worth the money for the parts.

Thanks for any help.

Don

Reply to
Don

"Don" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... I have a 1991 Kenmore/Whirlpool model 110.82993100 direct drive automatic washer. The problem is the tub/agitator assembly does not sit properly; it leans to the left side of the cabinet as I face the washer. The problem has gotten so bad there is now a wear mark on the inside left panel of the cabinet and water flows over the top of the tub ring, which is the base for the bleach and softener dispensers, when filling. I have done a lot of searching on the internet but haven't found an instance of a tub assembly leaning to the left side, only the right. I followed up on a number of the suggestions I found, but to no avail. I have done the following:

· I checked for level on all four edges before I removed the cabinet. · I checked for level on all four edges of the base after removing the cabinet. · The three suspension plate springs and the counterweight spring are all in place. All four springs are slightly expanded. · The base pads appear to be in reasonable shape but are somewhat worn.(More about this later) · The balance ring on the top of the washer is OK. I found an item on the net suggesting the suspension plate could be twisted. It was slightly out of alignment but not twisted. I lined it up but as soon as the tub is allowed to rest back against it, it slides out of place again and the tub leans back to the left. The only thing stopping the tub from leaning farther over is the two tabs protruding from the bottom of the tub down past the suspension plate. When the tub is allowed to sit freely, the tabs come to rest on the suspension plate. Since I feel the suspension pads may be worn, I inserted spacers just to see if I could achieve level. That failed. The tub slid back to its left lean position again.

Now for my questions:

· If I replace the base pads, should I replace the suspension plate pads also? If so, how do I go about getting at the suspension plate pads to change them? · Is there any way to check if the springs need to be replaced? · Is there something else for which I should be looking or checking? Is there a possibility of something being bent somewhere (eg agitator shaft, suspension plate, base assembly)? If something this major needs replacing then a decision has to be made about replacing the machine.

I would appreciate any help I can get. I don't mind having to do more work, just want to be reasonably certain it is worth the money for the parts.

Thanks for any help.

Don

That thing is 15 years old. Junk it and get a new one.

Sears only builds them to last 8-10 years.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

follow all service tips at:

buffalobill

Mine is 26 years old, and is fine. Only does laundry for one person, but still.

mm