Kenmore dehumidier question

My unit starts up, but it sounds like the compressor never kicks in, the fan just runs and no water drips. The unit is about 3 years old and is a 40 quart unit. It is an automatic dehumidifier and adjusts down to 40% humidity. I took it off of automatic and put it on constant run and still nothing happens. It appears to be one of Sear's better units. I would like to fix it my self. Do any of you have any suggestions as to how I can correct this problem with the compressor not starting up, or should I junk it? It really is a nice unit and I would hate to trash it. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Joe

I believe your unit has a 5 year sealed refrigeration warranty which includes labor so you might want to pull out your warranty and verify that. Unfortunately I called Sears and a moron told me otherwise and I dumped one that I could have had fixed for free. Of course if it is an electronics problem then you may not be covered by warranty.

Reply to
Art

Hi,

That does little to ID the unit...model#?

Does this unit have a frost gaurd?

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Jeff The model # is 580.5245020 Ser # 201KA14211. I don't know if it has a frost guard or not. I appreciate your help on this unit.

Reply to
Joe

Hi,

580.######## is a Goldstar/LG built dehum for Sears, completely electronic and has frost gaurd sensors and electronic boards :(

If the compressor will not run about the simplest thing to do is check to see if the compressor is getting 120 volts AC with a volt meter....if yes a problem with the compressor or compressor overload....if no, problem with the electronic controls.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid