JustAnswer.com alert

Yesterday while Googling an air-conditioning problem I found a link to

which seemed to be offering me the opportunity to put my question to an expert. I typed my question in the box provided and clicked "Get an Answer." I then had to register (had to provide a real email address but not my real name), but then found I had to type the question all over again.

Now somebody offered to answer my question but not without me paying for the information, the possibilities being $10, $17 or $31. I had seen nothing previously to indicate that this site was selling information rather than providing it free of charge as so many Web forums ("fora," if you prefer) do.

I bailed out, looked elsewhere, determined that the capacitor was bad, and picked one up for $28.

Ticked-off Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I looked at that one, ONCE..then I found

where one of the guys there "walked" me thru a similar A/C (motor) problem. NO FEE

Like yours, mine was a capacitor that I replaced which cost $ 2.67 Since the original was US made and lasted 18 years and the NEW one was made in China, I bought TWO for 5 bucks

Reply to
Rudy

I used that a while back about a gas lease contract. Good, expert advice from an attorney who specialized in such leases. followup were prompt and friendly. great resource. thanks for the reminder.

Reply to
RB

I don't know hat capacitor you were buying or when for $2.67, but mine for $28 was a dual unit (35/5MFD 440V) in a large metal can -- for both fan and compressor. As far as I could tell from the Web, that was a fair price.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

It was a small "start capacitor" for the motor only in a small 1991 Coleman A/C & heat unit for a Park model trailer.

Reply to
Rudy