joint compound

Can I put joint compound right over a small piece of sheetrock that the paper layer was torn away from? It has some paper still om the wall. No center gypsom is showing through. I plan on painting or plastering over it. Thanks.

Reply to
mo

yup

cm

Reply to
cm

If there is any loose paper sticking up, use a sharp utility knife to cut to away before putting your skim coat of mud over it. What looks insignificant will stand out like a sore thumb when you try to sand it smooth.

Then prime the new patch, even if you are planning to paint the entire wall. If not, the patched spot will look patched thru the final coat.

Reply to
mwlogs

Remove any loose paper and replace with fiberglass mesh. Paper tape was obsolete about 2 generations ago.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

There is no need to use any type of tape if there isn't a crack or hole. Just remove loose paper, float over with mud, let dry, and sand with 180 grit or 220 grit.

cm

Reply to
cm

Paper tape was

Home Depot must not know paper tape is obsolete? They still sell a ton of it.

cm

Reply to
cm