joining together sheet metal for roof

I am thinking about buying 8x10 pieces of sheetmetal, which one of my contractors is going to be joining up. We were thinking of buying a acetelene torch /w fuel, but that would cost around $200. Are there other cheaper ways of joining together those pieces. My worker (who is experienced with using a welding torch) told me that the previous job was done with a butane torch and uses aluminum as the joining agent. Is this common and reliable?

Reply to
Deodiaus

Google "standing seam" and you'll get a lot of hits about how to install a metal roof. Follow the conventional techniques and you'll be fine.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Your story doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Oxy/Acetylene equipment will cost a lot more than $200 unless you find something used. It would not be the correct thing to use to join sheet metal on a roof.

I doubt the previous work was done with butane and aluminum. I suspect that it was propane and solder which is aluminum colored. I would be VERY worried about your workman's skill and knowledge if he told you this. A propane torch costs about $30 and could be used to solder together sheet metal, but would not be the tool I would use, especially on a roof with tar paper and other flammables. Professional roofers use heavy soldering irons with stick solder and flux.

Flat sheet metal is not normally used on a roof as it is very difficult to hold down without putting holes in it, and is very prone to "oil canning". Normal metal roof panels are corrugated or formed into standing seam pans. Every effort is made to keep fasteners hidden or water tight.

What are you trying to do? With more information perhaps someone can help you

Reply to
DanG

Good way to burn the place down too....

Reply to