Join pipes w/o access to both

I have a 4" PVC pipe that carries my drain tile and lower level waste out to the sewer. It goes ot the outside through the foundation about

2 feet above my basement floor. It is leaking. The PVC pipe can be easily moved back and forth by about 2-3 inches. All I can see is the PVC pipe going into what looks like a sleeve in the foundation. Given the thickness of the foundation, I have no idea how they were joined (if they ever were) or how they came loose. There is about a 1/2 inch gap around the PVC pipe in the sleeve in the foundation wall. The sleeve looks to be terra cotta or PVC (can only see the end and it is in the wall since basement is finished). Is there some kind of expanding waterproof selant I can shoot in there to hold the pipe all the way in and keep water from seeping out into my basement? I know there are foams, but I don't know if they are strong enough to hold the pipe in place and keep water from coming back.
Reply to
MC

The only way to fix you problem is to go outside dig down to the pipe and see what is leaking. I may be ground water coming in aroung the pipe where is passes thru the foundation or it may be the pipe leaking itself. If the pipe is teo feet off the floor it won't be that hard ot expose it on the outside. If it is ground water it is best to fix it from outside anyway and then seal the area wiht a good foundation waterproofer. If the pipe is damages which can happen from settlement at the foundation it will be easily fixed from the outside. An attempt to fix will only be a patch and will cause more trouble down the road.

Reply to
Randd01

The problem is on the outside the pipe is about 5 feet below grade and has a sidewalk on top of it.

Reply to
MC

Well, it's not going to be that easy but you'll have to saw cut the sidewalk out and do the repair then repair the sidewalk. Or if you think you can support the sidewalk ( hard to say without seeing it) You could try to tunnel under it, but if you haven't done this type of work I would not suggest it. We do it all the time and it's not that hard. Sounds like a job for the pros !

Reply to
Randd01

is it possible to slide a new pipe in it's place inside the old one? Wayne

Reply to
wayne

Years ago they made what they called a donut that would go over the smaller pipe and then compress to slide into the larger pipe. This was used primarily when going from your 3 inch cast iron pipe inside your house to the six inch clay pipe outside your house. I'm not sure if they make any such thing anymore I havent seen them in 25 years.

Reply to
Randd01

I've applied some plumber's epoxy putty all around where the PVC goes into the foundation tube. It is keeping 90% of it in at this point. I need to get some more and stop the rest of it. It looks like this will hold at least for the short term.

Reply to
MC