It's Trippin'

Get a brain and stop telling people to fry themselves.

Oh, I'm so distrought! ...idiot.

Reply to
keith

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly! ...and the idiot should be chastised every time he show up.

Reply to
keith

Not a problem.

Reply to
G Hensley

krw wrote:

Reply to
G Hensley

You need protection from the likes of AMUN

Reply to
G Hensley

Many of these are also "three-light-testers" and will also warn of miswired outlets. However, these testers will not work on ungrounded circuits since they bleed current to ground rather than the neutral upstream of the GFCI.

Reply to
krw

I've been reading this thread with some interest. I have long suspected that GFI's are more or less snake oil. I.e., not worth the cost.

Any way I have a question.

How do you test a GFI. I dont mean pushing the button I mean down the line. If you use a GFI outlet to protect several load outlets how can you be sure that the last outlet on the load side is protected? I know I could just force a dead short with a piece of wire in the outlet but I am reluctant to do that in case the GFI fails I dont want to end up with a large black mark on my outlet. I also dont want to fry the GFI with a huge current spike.

HM

Reply to
House Mouse

For about ten bucks at home centers or hardware stores, you can buy a plug-in outlet tester that has a GFCI test button on it. Plug it in, push the button, and if the test lights all go out, the outlet is adequately protected.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Thanks folks.

HM