It's hot inside!!!

I have waited too long to replace my broken window a/c unit and now the heat is on. I'm desperate. The one I want (whirlpool 8000 BTU) claims to be Whirlpools quietest ever. The problem is no store in Los Angeles carries it. I am going to buy it direct from Whirlpool. Lowes and Home Depot carry the standard

6000 BTU's (and it's slim picking now) but they are all terribly LOUD.

Anyone care to comment on a good a/c unit?

Reply to
Dave-Morris

I saw some nice air conditioners at Costco. Sharp brand. They have the window models (relatively cheap) and also some higher BTU floorstanding models that use air hoses instead of taking up the whole window.

Reply to
scorpster

If you buy a portable make sure it is a two pipe (air hose) type. With the single pipe ones you'll be throwing your money out the window.

Reply to
Molly Brown

"Dave-Morris" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@homeimprovementbanter.com...

Take a look at Consumer Reports. They rate many characteristics of ACs, include noise level.

Reply to
Charlie Darwin

I saw both single and double pipe models at Costco. I think one is 10,000 BTU the other one 14,000 BTU. Just curious why is single pipe so bad? Because of the lower BTU or is it less efficient with electricity?

Reply to
scorpster

It takes air from the room and then vents it outside. That causes outside air to find its way into the home. The ones with two hoses, uses one for the air intake and the other for the exhaust.

Reply to
Jim Rusling

With a single pipe design you=92re throwing out the baby with the bath water. In other words you=92re discharging the cold air that you used all that electricity to make along with the heat that you=92re trying to get rid of. With the two pipe system you=92re not touching your precious cold air, you=92re just re-circulating the outside air through the unit to get rid of the heat without it ever getting inside the living space.

Reply to
Molly Brown

Ask in the heating and air conditioning forum ... your chances are better.

Reply to
WILLIAM21

That would be alt.hvac

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

WILLIAM21 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@homeimprovementbanter.com:

The OP is replying to themself giving advice?!!! WTF?!

Reply to
Red Green

No, 2 different people.

Reply to