Isobutanol-Gasoline to the rescue

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- In side by side performance, durability and emissions testing of small engines, gasoline blended with isobutanol performed better than blends using ethanol. Gevo, Inc. (NASDAQ:GEVO - News), a renewable chemicals and advanced biofuels company, provided the isobutanol to the Outdoor Power Equipment Institute (OPEI) and Briggs & Stratton (B&S), who tested both fuel blends in B&S small engines. The results demonstrated that unlike ethanol, blends incorporating isobutanol do not cause any irregular or unstable engine or performance issues. The outcome suggests that isobutanol blends at 12.5% could ease the pressure on moving to higher ethanol blends to meet biofuel mandates with no impact on small engines. Isobutanol is a drop-in fuel that requires no flex fuel engines, special blender pumps or pipelines.

"Briggs & Stratton is encouraged by the results of the isobutanol testing on our engines,? said Todd Teske, Chairman, President & CEO of Briggs & Stratton Corporation. "We are very interested in alternative fuels that do not cause damage to the substantial number of engines in use today while lessening the country's dependency on foreign oil."

Reply to
Bill

This whole mess got started when agribusiness convinced our politicians that ethanol in gasoline would reduce pollution is spite of the fact that the refiners said they could satisfy the requirement without it.

The law was written that there was an oxygenate requirement for some fuels and oil companies found it better satisfied with MTBE which eventually lost favor and became banned because a trace of it in water made it taste bad.

The ethanol requirement was pushed further in the name of using renewable bio fuels.

Isobutanol is one of these as there can be a bio source:

By and large the whole thing is a mess caused by politicians and the crony capitalism we have today. These are the last people you want making technical decisions.

Reply to
Frank