Island Countertop Overhang Problem

Not good, you would be installing a skinny 4 inch x 63 inch piece with little under-support other than the cabinet walls. You would have to work in the epoxy over the whole length and the seem would be in the most obvious place, full width directly on top of an island. I dont even think any granite company would do this if you asked them to. But they might agree to cut up the old slab for you to reuse somewhere else.

Reply to
RickH

RickH wrote: ...

I've seen very similar things done where it was done purposefully for the accent. Once it's seamed, it's not an independent piece any longer.

Of course...

Reply to
dpb

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Has anyone taken a look at the pictures in the link in the original post? What are your thoughts on either configuration?

Reply to
gobofraggle

Has anyone taken a look at the pictures in the link in the original post? What are your thoughts on either configuration?

I don't like the look of the appliance garage. And I think it would look awkward if you extended it to the end of the cabinet. (I just finally understood what you were asking) Since the countertop should have a straight edge in the back why don't you get a piece of granite from the same lot and fit the 4" piece tight so the seam is less noticeable? If not you're really in a pickle. Another thing is the granite cut that thin is going to be brittle. Have you asked to see if they will cut it that narrow?

Reply to
jthread

Personally, I wouldn't want 12" or 13" - or even 9" - of granite hanging out in space unless it is resting on something. Especially at $900 per pop.

Reply to
dadiOH

Why not? Its perfectly fine provided that you span 24" of counter before hanging over 12", and provided the granite is 1 1/4" thick. Almost every granite place I called while doing my kitchen said the same thing.

Reply to
Mikepier

Why not? Its perfectly fine provided that you span 24" of counter before hanging over 12", and provided the granite is 1 1/4" thick. Almost every granite place I called while doing my kitchen said the same thing.

Reply to
charlie

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Getting the stone is not the problem. In fact, currently, there is a

4" backsplash along that back wall, which I would lay on the flat to fill in the gap and create an extra 4" of overhang on the front. The problem is, a seam that long (63") would be visible, so I don't think a seam is an option. Hence the idea to cover it with the "appliance garage".....
Reply to
gobofraggle

The stone is 1-1/4" thick, and it is Quartz, not Granite. So, it is ground up stone, bound with epoxy. I'd imagine that this would be much less prone to breaking then Granite, as there are no natural variations/cleavages/fault lines in the stone. Is that a fair assumption?

Reply to
gobofraggle

Getting the stone is not the problem. In fact, currently, there is a

4" backsplash along that back wall, which I would lay on the flat to fill in the gap and create an extra 4" of overhang on the front. The problem is, a seam that long (63") would be visible, so I don't think a seam is an option. Hence the idea to cover it with the "appliance garage".....

I get it. I'd use the stone somewhere else and get a new counter then. Unless you can modify the counter undeneath. Another thing I just thought about. I had a breakfast bar facing a wall like that and no one used it. I think most people don't want to face a wall while they are eating. YMMV

Reply to
ythread

Rock has fractures, cleavage planes, etc. IOW, rock breaks (can break). Even 1 1/4 granite, supported area doesn't provide any support for that hanging out. Will it break? Probably not. Can it break? Absolutely.

Reply to
dadiOH

Reply to
Boden

ythread wrote: ...

Elsewhere you said it was an engineered product...what, specifically, is it (brand name, product)?

--

Reply to
dpb

The problem maybe it's quartz not granite. I made the same mistake too below. The quartz apparently doesn't get as good of an edge.

Reply to
ythread

I'm not the OP. Just following the thread.

Reply to
ythread

The granite suppliers I recently talked to about a project said up to

12" unsupported overhang was OK with std granite, ie 1 1/2"
Reply to
trader4

RickH wrote in news:54c13d95-fc59-4800- snipped-for-privacy@l64g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Would you consider making the 4-inch strip a contrasting colour or even a different material so it looks like a design feature?

Reply to
Reno