Is this a code violation?

Hi,

I'll try to keep it brief. In my workshop, I have a problem with managing my table saw and vacuum. If I plug them into the same ckt (120V 30A breaker), they will run, as long as there is no voltage dip or heavy load situations. That means the occasional and always at the worst of time breaker popping open. As a remedy I simply switched the vacuum to another line - when I wired the shop I put two ckts wherever any machinery might be plugged in. That works great, but(t) ... It means the hassle of turning on the vacuum, and then the table saw, and opposite to shut down. A pain unless I want to let the vacwm run nonstop.

Setup: My entire shop is switched. EVERY ckt in the shop is manually turned off/on from switches at the main entrance from the house. They're simple, SPST properly rated switches. That way I am confident that NOTHING in the shop was left running when I leave it. All equipment outlets are dead that way.

Everything is wired to code, and passed inspection easily. Now, before I ruin my rep with the zoning board (small, rural town), I thought I'd ask this here :

Would I be in violation of any NEC by putting both the vacwm AND the power saw switching onto a DPST switch, so that flipping the switch turned them BOTH on and off at the same time? I'd color code the switch with both colors of my receptacles (all ckts are color coded for easy ID/management of current draw). Intuitively I feel it's against code, but ... darned if I can find anything that would forbid it. Can you guys?

If it turns out it is against code, my next logical step would be a DPDT relay b ut they're expensive. So, any othger ideas?

Obviously I don't want to go thru the cost of the inspection again if I can avoid it; but I don't want to do anything that's not to code. Oh, and everything's in thin-wall conduit.

Regards,

Pop

Reply to
Pop Rivet

They're not expensive. You can get plug-in devices to do what you want.

As long as it plugs in, it's not part of the *building*, and you have no

*building* code worries.
Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I suggest a low voltage relay and switches at each station for the vac. It is not expensive and it is convenient.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If the only thing you have that requires the dust collector to run is the saw, then go for the DPST sw. I don't see a violation either. You might want to write a warning on the box so you don't forget there are 2 circuits in the box but it is not a code issue. There are some solutions involving relays for folks who run several dusty machines and want the DC running when any of them are on. This is a regular topic over on rec.woodworking

Reply to
Greg

you 'could' implement a wireless setup putting a switch for the vaccum power at each machine with the receiver on the vaccum outlet. the more machines you have the more sense this would make. in any case it doesnt require any rewiring, just money.

not that this is the exact one you want to use, but its the first yahoo search result as an example.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Switching on the dust collector is a very common issue with woodworkers. All you need is a radio controlled relay for the vacuum. It is called a "Long Ranger" and is intended specifically for this purpose. Here is one place that sells them, any good woodworking store carries them (Rockler, Woodcraft, etc)

Dennis

Reply to
DT

Sounds like relays are the surest way to go.

Thanks much guys 'n' gals; appreciate the thoughts.

Pop

with woodworkers. All

called a "Long

Here is one place that