Is there a better Beef Steak deal at Costco than this?

Thank you for that method which I will try!

Reply to
Hazuki Nakamura

A lot depends on who grinds the beef. Virtually all of these E-coli things involve factory ground beef and I am sure they grind every speck, perhaps including something that was contaminated with gut. If this is done at the grocery store, the chance of contamination will come from not following proper practices like not steaming the grinder after processing chicken. Chicken is probably the dirtiest thing in a butcher shop.

Reply to
gfretwell

The process is the same, only the names have been changed to protect the innocent! [g] I save bacon grease for cooking with too. Yummy!!!

Reply to
RonNNN

Ed's advice is good. Scientific America advice is too general and broad to apply to all meats. Cooking advice like letting meat rest before carving won't be found in technical journals.

Reply to
Frank

Ground beef especially from the store should be cooked well done as exterior bacteria is introduced throughout by grinding.

It's all in the butchering and hanging and gutting a steer keeps gut contents from contaminating outside surfaces. Gutted chickens have it splattered all over them and are the dirtiest meat in the butcher shop or store.

Reply to
Frank

I do a lot of my own meat processing, but that would be a bit over the top for me. [g]

Reply to
RonNNN

I have been eating raw hamburger for about 65 years and never got sick so this might be a little overblown. Or maybe, I have just built up an immunity. Either way I don't like well done burgers.

Reply to
gfretwell

Same kind of thing I guess but I don't eat oysters. Bait.

Reply to
gfretwell

They can be safe at less, but that is not my concern. The temperatures I use are from years of cooking and getting the best taste and texture. When I smoke brisket, I cook it at a smoker temperature of 250 to 275 and take the meat to about 195. That would make a steak into a hockey puck but a brisket will be fork tender.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I do the long and slow with pork shoulder. You can do a decent job in the oven if you don't have a smoker. I will put on a rub and pretty much burn it for an hour or so (425-450). That gets a good bark on it. Then reduce the heat to 250-275, pour in about 3-4 ounces of bourbon and seal the pan up good with broiler foil. Cook it another 4 hours or more. It will be moist and flake apart with a fork. I think the alcohol helps break down the collagen and adds some flavor. Your rub is your own secret but it is usually salt, pepper and an assortment of herbs and spices. Montreal Steak will work if you are lazy.

Reply to
gfretwell