Is Roof Repair Estimate Reasonable?

I had a long running minor leak around my chimney flashing which was aggravated by last week's torrential rains in the DC area. A roofer inspected my damage and estimated that he would have to replace 4 plywood sheets, the flashing, and the shingles, all for $1,200. My insurance deductible is $1,000. So I'm vacillating whether I will still have the insurance co. pay for this since the deductible is almost the same amount as the estimate.

First off, is $1,200 reasonable for labor and materials for replacing a

4 - plywood section of the roof? Secondly, since this is a combination of a multi-year slow trickling leak and a sudden rain event, will insurance pay for it? If it will be a big hassle, I might as well pay for it out of my own pocket.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
franzen_torres

My opinion on turning it over to the insurance is.. I wouldn't do it. Not for 200.00, and a chance that your rates could increase.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

That price sounds slightly high for my area so it should be about right for yours.

Never file an insurance claim unless you have a major loss. This may not even be a covered event and I would think real hard before I filed a $1200 claim with a zero deductible. The black mark is permanent to the property and hangs around on your book of life for quite some time.

The F@#&% companies will witch hunt you and overcharge or cancel you for the rest of you life.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Also make them prove workers comp and liability insurance BEFORE they start. This is routine, just call their office (whoever you have do the work) and tell them to mail you the insurance documentaiton. Contract should stipulate this as a requirement.

Reply to
roger61611

Good evening just getting started with this and seen under the repair some thing I might be of some help. I do this and many other repairs I am a roofer and GC Check in side in the attic if you have and count the sheets that are damaged, if it went on for some time you can try the insurance but if they see that the damage has taken time to get as bad as it is they will flag you and still have all of the out of pocket money. Depending on labor and material there, dump fees, INSURANCE! PLEASE CHECK 1,2,3 storys, how hard to get on the roof or how easy, can the dirt from the roof be thrown directly to the truck or have to be carried, how many men, type of shingles, is the flashing any good around the shingles, what type ( three tab,arch, the live of the shingle ( 25 yr,30 yr, )? will he use ice guard around the chimney, install new flashing, ( step and counter flashing ) or use what is there sorry for all of the chatter but when I do the work I explain all of this Frank Jr

Reply to
Frank Jr