Air Conditioner Repair Estimate

I have an estimate for an air conditioning repair, replacing the capacitor. $180.00 installed. It sounds reasonable to me, is it?

-- Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Which cap?

It sounds about right.

Reply to
Moe Jones

Sounds about normal.

could be worse, could be better.

Reply to
valvejob

It sounds about right for the large companies with the spiffy uniforms and shiny new trucks.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Reply to
unclemon

Thanks to all who replied. This is a very helpful group to me since I don't know a lot about prices of repairs and things.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

No shiny truck or spiffy uniform, but he did come on Labor Day Weekend within a few hours of calling him, and looks like the charge was reasonable, so I would use him again. Thanks.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Whenever someone asks me if I charge extra for weekends and holidays, I always answer: "No, I charge the same outrageous rate, regardless."

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Reply to
unclemon

Cheri, the charge depends on a lot of factors; how far will the tech have to travel, where is the unit located, attic , roof or at ground level. There is a wide variation in the cost of capacitors! I did most tech work at too low a cost for a proper profit level. udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

thats a ripoff for 10 minute job and 12.00 part..

ds549

I don't know what you think of as a rip off but I probably would have charged $130 to $145 for such a call. I've had people get upset over having to pay a service charge when I tell them that their piece of gear is uneconomical to repair. They'll say "You didn't repair it." My answer is "If you go see a doctor and he runs a bunch of tests, then tells you you're going to die, you still have to pay him."

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Reply to
Uncle Monster

I was thinking rip off also if it was during regular hours. I felt ripped off when I was charged $ 40 for a capacitor when some other work was done on my unit. The capacitor should have been about half that.

Guess it depends on where you are in the country. Thinking about $ 50 per hour and a 2 hour call (driving time included ,about 1 hour) and parts. maybe $ 120 to $ 150 tops.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

A better answer:

"Well, you could have brought the unit to me..."

Reply to
HeyBub

Reply to
bigjim

Yes, I wasn't complaining about the cost either, especially since my AC had been on the fritz the day before as well, and over 100 degrees several days in a row where I am. I was just curious if it was a reasonable charge, which I thought was quite reasonable, and most here agree. So thanks for the input.

Cheir

Reply to
Cheri

look you cheep prick you expect man to travel few hours pay for his gasoline insurance ETC. to gave you estimate for nothing you are living in dream world but I can blame you there is sucker in every line of work there is also old say that you can get call girl on credit once but I don't think you will get it again and I bet you didn't tip the guy either Tony

Reply to
Tony

I know you're not posting to me, but I did tip him $20.00. He did say he was the owner and the worker, which is why he was working on Labor Day Weekend, and he told me that it wasn't necessary to tip him, but I was extrememly pleased with him so I did.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Care to describe how covering the cost of the workman's salary, the truck operational expense, insurance etc to provide an opinion is not "doing anything"?

Reply to
George

I'm in love, will you run away with me?

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Reply to
Uncle Monster

LMAO

Reply to
<kjpro

You&#39;re clueless...

I might as well drive around and give *free* estimates all day? How&#39;s that pay the bills?

Get a clue!

Reply to
<kjpro