Is a transition union the answer??

Hi all,

I am trying to finish my bathroom remodel. I have installed CPVC plumbing because our water here likes to corrode copper. Anyways...I have installed the CPVC properly (strapped and braced, brass drop ells for the shower arm and tub spout nipple) As I was making the supply connections I am getting a VERY slight leak on the hot side that likes to show up after the brass valve gets warm....I have tried a few different male adapters and am getting frustrated. Does the expansion of the brass shower valve cause this? I put a new male adapter on and used tfe paste this time rather than teflon tape, but I am not gluing any more til I hear back. Do i need a transition union or something to isolate the CPVC from the brass? I didnt see anything like that at home depot....do I have to go to a plumbing store for that? Thanks in advance!!!

Josh

Reply to
joshers17

still looking for advice...would like to get this done as it is the last day i have off for a bit...

Reply to
joshers17

Exactly where is the leak, on the valve stem or on a joint or somewhere else?

..I have tried a few

nick hull

it is right at the valve....leaking around the male adapter....the valve itself is fine...

josh

Reply to
joshers17

They make CPVC adapters - A Brass male thread connected to a CPVC slip. I have seen suggestions that CPVC threads are not approved anymore here, especially female threaded fittings. The female threaded fittings I see ususally have a rubber washer inside to form the seal.

Reply to
Bob F

ok...thats what i was thinking...i see an transition union with 1/2 MIPT on the copper side and 1/2 CPVC slip on the other, connected by a brass nut with a rubber washer...I am assuming thats what I need....hope it works...i will let the group know...

Josh

Reply to
joshers17

For the archives if anyone else runs into this problem....

Picked u a transition union and used TFE paste to seal it. Everything is working properly and is leak free..

thanks

Josh

Reply to
joshers17