Is a fence with noise reduction possible?

I'll be replacing a fence that borders with a neighbor. It's redwood picket fence, about 6' high. The neighbor has a pool, so I thought I might as well try and cut down the noise from the filter and parties they have, if possible.

I was thinking about building a fence with pickets on both sides so I can place some sort of noise insulation in between. However, I need ideas what I could use.

Any advice appreciated!

Reply to
smith_bp101

I would venture that a 6-ft fence alone of any type and w/ any sound-absorbing capability won't make a lot of difference as most of what you're hearing now isn't coming _through_ the fence but over it. You might have some success on the filter noise if you could convince the neighbor (with some cost share, perhaps) to build an enclosure for it to block the noise at its source, but the folks/party noise is pretty much a feature of living in a subdivision.

It won't be quick solution, but if the zoning and space allows, the most effective longer term solution might be a hedge that can reach

8-10 ft or more in height. Lombardy poplars, for example, while I think they're kinda' ugly, grow quickly and will fill in almost solidly. Other choices are available, of course.

As to the direct question, I really have no great ideas for outside application. The DOT fences along freeways tend to rely on extreme height and thickness and even they, while mega-bucks/mile, aren't all that effective.

Reply to
dpb

Unfortunately I don't think you'll have much luck. The sounds you are hearing may be getting reflected off other dwellings. Trees and shrubs help but your house would look like a compound afterward.

If you are trying to quiet down your HOUSE, as in block the sounds coming in your home then insulation in the walls will help. If you are trying to block the noise outside your house, sorry not much you can do in my mind except plant bushes.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Got room for an 8 foot high dirt berm? That's unfortunately about the only thing that's likely to be very effective in noise reduction.

If you can get on friendly terms with your neighbor and have some money to throw at the problem, consider a self-serving gift to them of a noise-reducing enclosure for their filter, and getting invited to their parties to enjoy em. :-)

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Hello everyone and thank you for responding. Regarding the height of the fence. The elevation difference between the neighbors yard and my yard is about 3 feet (I'm below).The fence is on top of a retaining wall. I was thinking that a difference of 9 feet would make somewhat noticable difference in noise level. The pool filter sits right next to the fence (about a foot), so any sound barrier on the fence would greatly reduce that noise. Their pool is fairly close to the fence also.

The parties are kids parties, and being a kid at one time, I remember always screaming when having a pool party so I'm not going to complain to the neighbors about that. Kids will be kids, at least it's seasonal.

So I'm still trying to figure out something I can perhaps "fill" in between the pickets that can withstand the weather.

Reply to
smith_bp101

Around here, these freeway fences are 30' high and 8" thick. Solid concrete.

Reply to
HeyBub

Good idea.

I have a friend who manufactures and distributes individual noise enclosures in various shapes and sizes. Some are specifically designed for party guests.

They are available at a very reasonable cost, and if the OP desires, I could probably get him a further discount.

Reply to
mm

If anything, you could help mask the noise with a nice water feature (water fountain,etc...)

-Felder

Reply to
felderbush001

How about noise canceling headphones?

Eric in North TX

In the tile trade we use 1/4" cork as soundproofing underlayment. I buy it at the tile dealer but just saw that Home Depot sells it in 4'x50' rolls. Since this material is pretty water resistant and specifically made for soundproofing, along with being pretty inexpensive (70 cents per sq.ft.), it could serve your purpose.

For $2 per sq.ft. Nobleseal makes a soundproofing underlayment that is waterproof, along with having the soundproofing characteristics. It is about 1/8" thick and very tough and durable.

BTW, the materials can be doubled up for much improved soundproofing, and are tested and proven to greatly reduce sound.

the tiler

Reply to
thetiler

Reply to
buffalobill

Many use hedges of dense evergreen to mask noises. I vote for plants.

And yes, the fence will block the direct path of the noise and will help.

And yes, you can mask the noise with something more desirable.

Reply to
DK

Wayne Newton has 10' or taller fences, but we biddy folks don't.

For the OP. Many public buildings use a variety of panels to deaden sound and avoid echo. Some are these are simply a piece of carpert hanging like a picture.. Knowing where to place them is what is the most important.

-- Oren

Oren

A natural solution?

If you have the retaining wall and install a board on board fence which provides you 9' of protection, you will notice a little difference. Is there space to add a row of cedars shrubs (4'-5'wide)? White cedars are inexpensive and will grow to 20' - 30'. In normal conditions they will grow 1' per year. You can trim the bottom of these shrubs aggressively as to control the width of the hedging. The roots are soft and shallow and will not normally cause issues with retaining walls and pools until 30-50 years.

Some minor insect control issues should be followed because cedars provide shelter for the mosquitoes. Make sure you and your party animal neighbor control any standing water on you property (everyone should be doing this anyway)

A simple wood trellis against the wall of the house(s) with a vine can reduce some of the reflective noises.

As mention on one of the postings, a water fall with a pond can help a great deal.

Note: Review the by-law for fence height restrictions, swimming pool enclosure by-laws, and noise by-law.

buffalobill wrote:

Reply to
Landscape Design Guy

Thanks for a marvelous posting!the information about swimming pool Filters IS TOO GOOD.I quite enjoyed reading it, you?re a great author.I will remember to bookmark your blog and will ofte n come back sometime soon. I want to encourage you continue your great work.

pwatercare