Iron Stained Fixtures, Tubs and Things

What can I use to remove iron stained surfaces like acrylic and plastic:tub, inside of d/washer, etc.? I've tried a number of off the shelf products but not very successfully. I'm on a well and have and have an inline water filter before the water softener (which of course doesn't remove iron or other mineral deposits. My water filter is actually reddish brown stained and somewhat caked each time I change it. At some point I should install an iron filter system but can't right now. Thanks for the input.

Reply to
John F.F.

I used toothpaste to remove iron from around acrylic sink drain; looks like there is caulk around the drain which is still slightly stained, but got it off the sink. Mfg. rec. using car wax on the sink.

Reply to
Norminn

Try rubbing the stains with a piece of lemon dippd in salt.

Reply to
beecrofter

There are specific products for this. One I recall was, Iron Out, but don't see it around. Wife had used in previous dishwasher and clothes washer. Wife uses stuff from Acme just called Toilet Bowl Cleaner. I'm on a well too but have no water softener, just whole house sediment filter.

Reply to
Frank

whink. it can be found in supermarkets

chaniarts

When doing appliance repair (years ago) I had customers on wells that iron stained washers and dish washers. I used Oxalic acid crystals. 2 or 3 tablespoons through a empty load and appliance was spotless. However these were porcelain finished in those days. Will it work on the newer plastic type??? I don't know. WW

Reply to
WW