iPhone code cracked

They shouldn't have even said *that*! It now tells bad guys that their phone is a potential "information leak"!

Doubtful this was a "simple" hack. I'd imagine a fair bit of special hardware and tuned expertise was involved. I.e., they had the phone *apart* to get at what they wanted.

Designing with security in mind is a very different sort of activity from "just throwing something together that does X". Ever notice how many "security updates" you've installed on your PC? And, presumably, MS had at least *some* interest in making a secure product!

In the late 70's, I worked in an industry that saw large losses to counterfeited products. We would "challenge" our (legitimate) competitors to crack our protection schemes -- knowing that they had as much at stake protecting their products as we did, ours. We would remove part numbers from components (obscuring their nature), remove "chips" from their packages, xray items to see what's under the plastic, embed bits of metal and wire to confound xray attempts, design "custom" chips that implemented key functionalities, etc.

I.e., a well funded competitor would spend a lot of money to TRY to copy what we'd done -- let alone try to *change* it in the process. Not the sort of thing someone is going to do in their garage...

Reply to
Don Y

I feel the same way and it was working until the Israeli company leaked the fact that they had cracked the phone.

Reply to
gfretwell

I am happy that the govt got the info they say they needed AND that NO LEGAL precident was set allowing a govt to force companies to do their bidding.

Frankly i would be disappointed in the NSA if they actually NEEDED anyones help for this kind of thing.

Reply to
makolber

The NSA is prohibited by law from cracking a phone that was not on foreign soil. The dispute right now is how much they are allowed to monitor calls and data originating outside the country but ending up here. I can see why they would not publically enter this debacle.

Reply to
gfretwell

I see. So for example, all iPhones will have the 10 strikes and it erases everything implemented in hardware with no possible way for the user to turn it off? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. What about the users that don't want that to happen?

Wrong. No such thing was at issue in the case.

That would seem to depend on what the hypothetical new law would actually say.

More nonsense thrown in for good measure.

Nor will your government allow you to purchase

Totally absurd attempt at comparison. Apple is not being compelled or asked to say anything.

Good grief. It's clear that Apple is the big loser here. Apple told it's customers that they had purchased a very secure product. So secure that Apple couldn't trust themselves to help unlock that one phone in their own labs, where they were in control of everything. Cook said that if they did that, well somehow magically all the iPhones in the whole world would be compromised, no longer secure, their user's information at risk etc., even though nothing ever left Apple's lab. So now, some unknown party, possibly a teenage hacker has done it instead. Therefore exactly what Cook told Apple customers would be devastating has happened and what's orders of magnitude worse, it happened with God know who in control of the method, instead of Apple.

It may not be the govts to share, depending on what kind of agreement they reached with whoever provided the help. But not to worry, now that Apple went public with all this, threw down the gauntlet, I would be surprised if there aren't plenty of hackers out there working on the problem and before long how to do it could be all over the internet.

That assumes that there is a trial, that the phone data is necessary evidence for the trial, etc. And then it would be up to the court to decide what exactly in the process is relevant and what is not.

Forget to take your pills today?

Only if they are told.

Clearly they have no duty to cooperate with Apple, especially given Apple's refusal to cooperate with the govt.

Please, take those pills!

Wow, who would have ever thought that.

Sounds like you're as confused as Tim Cook.

It was never about encryption technology in this case. It was about

10 strikes and it erases.

That the phone doesn't *preserve*!

How exactly did the feds lose again? The feds wanted the phone unlocked and they got it. Apple told the world that if they, Apple, unlocked it that all the existing iPhones would be compromised. So now, someone, quite possibly a hacker, has done exactly that. Instead of Apple doing it quietly, in their own lab, keeping what they did secret, someone else is now in possession of how to get into all those iPhones. Apple lost big time.

Reply to
trader_4

Why don't you explain that to us. That should be very interesting.

Interesting coming from the fool that posted this:

"Apple was asked to WRITE SOFTWARE, cryptographically *sign* that software and then introduce it to the phone (via the normal update mechanism). The feds spelled out EXACTLY what the differences between that software and the "normal" software would be. I.e., it didn't include anything that would make a casual user of an "updated" phone realize that it had been hacked. The changes would only be noticed by a person wanting to circumvent the protections on the phone: "

All the above is pure and total BS. What the court order directed Apple to do was just two things:

1 - Turn off the 10 strike erase

2 - Provide an electronic means to enter passcodes, eg USB, wifi, etc.

How that was done, was entirely up to Apple.

Reply to
trader_4

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news:yPednaJv5umPA2fLnZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Apple

discussing the

No, the *other* terrorists they arrest by following up on the information they found in the phone. *Those* prosecutions are potentially tainted if the phone has been out of the FBI's possession.

You haven't thought that one through. Without a clean chain of custody, they cannot show probable cause to obtain a warrant to search that garage.

Reply to
Doug Miller

If they are offshore, Obama will just kill them. We are not seeing many arrests these days.

Reply to
gfretwell

They won't need the info from the phone. They may be stopped for a broken taillight and the police may notice something suspicious in the car.

I have enough faith in the FBI and CIA to come up with whatever they need. Maybe a neighbor will call that they smell gas coming from the garage.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Wouldn't the judge have to have been in on it if it was a charade? That's my one thought why the exercise was real rather than a show.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I think a lot of those "get lucky" traffic stops are the result of illegal wire taps, "sneak and peeks" and other things that would not meet legal muster if we knew about them

Reply to
gfretwell

Theoretically if evidence came from an illegal tap, it is fruit of the poison tree but if it never comes out that the underlying information was illegally developed, off to jail they go.

Reply to
gfretwell

What should they have done, lied to the court? Even just the govt dropping the case, everyone with connected brain cells would know what happened.

Reply to
trader_4

+1
Reply to
Tekkie®

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted for all of us...

What one man can make another man can break (Unknown-but I'll take credit).

Reply to
Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...

You have latched onto one of my pet issues and now raised my blood pressure for which I cannot afford the meds anymore. But don't worry Obamouncare will pay for my mind control.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Potentially even worse, so does some unknown third party. It may be the Israeli security firm that helped them, but that is speculation at this point. Also, we don't know how many hackers took up the challenge and may still be working on it too.

Reply to
trader_4