Insurance qustion

Oh, my lawyer is a prince, and I'm sure yours is a nice guy. The rest are thieves.

I didn't want to be involved with that.

Reply to
HeyBub

sounds like you're too stupid to either not click on his posts or use your KF Or both

Reply to
ChairMan

So, what was the final outcome? What did you work out with the insurance company?

Reply to
TomR

I know a one-time (full) professor of electrical engineering at a top university who retired from that position and went back to school and became a lawyer. He'd need a lawyer if he tried pulling some of the stuff he did in a classroom in front of a judge. ;-)

Reply to
krw

If you haven't settled yet, you may want to check _your_ State law. This may or may not apply in your case, but in our state, if it is the only vehicle titled in your name, the minimum it's worth is $2,500.00.

Something similar happened to me some years back. I had an old car, got T-boned, the vehicle's book value was $900. Being it was totaled, they paid me $2,500 for the car with no argument.

Reply to
Chomper

What state would that be? You do know that *you* are paying for that idiocy.

Reply to
krw

Hey, that's MY line!!!!

Reply to
clare

Totally possible to drive it every day, if he fixes it at night. And not saying it ALWAYS got him where he was going!!!. But the 124 WAS one of the better Fiats, if you don't consider the rust problem. The spider was a nice car - about on par with an MGB (I know, that's not saying much) The early 124 coupe was a nice car too.

Like British cars the secret was to open the bonnet and fondle it's nuts at least weekly.

Reply to
clare

Particularly a 70's era FIAT. Up here anything rusts - but my 75 Fiat

128L was pretty well disintegrated by 1982.
Reply to
clare

Lawyer sounds a lot like liar with a southern drawl- - - -

Reply to
clare

I had a '61 Bonnevile and it was early 70's when I got rear ended. All I had was a couple of scratches on the trunk lid of a fading car. They offered me $150 just so I would sign and prevent any potential liability from injuries, real or imagined. The adjusters said to me "you're not getting it fixed are you?" Nope, I was just happy to have

150 bucks in my pocket.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes, every day from summer 1973 to whenever the accident was in 2000. Why would you think otherwise?

Drove it to/from my business, shopping, pleasure. When we left Hawaii for Mexico in 1991 it had 80,000 miles on it. During the next two years we made several trips form Veracruz to the US as well as within Mexico. I don't recall the mileage when we left Mexico in 1993 but in 2000 it had (and has)

160,000 miles, engine was rebuilt at 130,000 miles.
Reply to
dadiOH

The only paint was on the new clip to match the existing paint.

No body rust, always garaged. There was (at one time, not now) a rust problem with the bottom corners of the windshield frame; that was a common prblem with them.

The only problems I had with the car were people hitting it and mechanics screwing stuff up. Got it out of a body shop at 8AM one morning, had it parked on the street in front of my business and at 9:30 a woman backed into it. Back to the body shop. BTW, the first time it was repainted the cost was $150; the last time (about 1998) it was $1500.

Reply to
dadiOH

Sorry. I didn't know "heybub" had such a lonely following waiting for the next post in this home repair group...

Reply to
George

Good question. Last Friday I got a call from the scheduler who said an adjuster would appear at my residence on the following Monday (last Monday) between 1:00 and 4:00 in the afternoon.

At 3:00 pm on Monday, the adjuster called. He said he was about twelve miles away and would be along shortly.

It is now Thursday morning and his fate is still unknown.

Reply to
HeyBub

"dadiOH" wrote in news:kh9sv2$6t1$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Because it's a FIAT -- obviously.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I had a 1976 Fiat 124 Spyder. Based on my experiences with that, which I only had for maybe 5 years, I agree with your skepticism. It was a beautiful Pininfarina design, fun to drive but it was also the most unreliable bucket of bolts I've ever encountered. For one thing, you could pretty much rely on having to replace the brake calipers after each winter. And then there was the clutch cable that broke twice, once in a parking garage in NYC. That was special.... And the fuel pump. And the master cylinder. And then it blew a head gasket at 60K miles. When they took the head off the valves needed to be done. They asked me if I had changed the oil regularly, which of course I had..... Soon after that I got rid of it before even worse could happen.....

Reply to
trader4

To expound slightly, MOST of the problems I had with the car were people hitting it and mechanics screwing stuff up. There were other problems, most of which were normal for any car...master cylinder was replaced once, front end (ball joints, etc.), brake calipers once (discs never, still have a set "just in case"), clutch too IIRC.

The one thing that gave me the most problems was the water pump. It had a rather wierd shape, very narrow at one end and tended to break at the thin part; went through at least three pumps. The last time was when I was driving north to start living in Florida. The pump went out in Aldama, Mexico, a little town about 80 kilometers north of Tampico. I got on the phome to my wife who was still in Veracruz and had her order one from the US (easier for her than me on a hotel phone).

Well, they got the pump sent promptly via UPS but they sent it to Monterey which was the only place UPS went. The UPS office there sent it via another carrier to Tampico and they passed it on to another local carrier. Trouble is, the local carrier didn't go to Aldama so it got sent back to Monterey which is about 200 miles from where I was..

So there I am in Aldama. The most entertaining thing there was sitting on the hotel porch in a rebar and expanded steel rocker watching the vultures circling overhead. Fortunately, I met a fellow there called "El Negrito" which means "the little black guy"; a joke because he was FAR from little. "Fortunately" because he spoke English - he was from Trinidad - and Spanish. I do OK in Spanish but it is hard on the phone. He calls the UPS manager in Monterey and gets the guy to personally deliver it to me. I owe El Negrito a nice dinner.

Reply to
dadiOH

And the UPS guy. The best parts of life, or maybe the most interesting parts, happen by accident. If you can avoid the rusting out, most cars will last a long time if attended to. Some just take more care. Mine was a '64 bug. Kept it utterly reliable until the seat started sinking through the rusting floorpan. It was time to send it to the boneyard.

Reply to
Vic Smith

" snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote in news:f18df0f0-4211-43ae-a716- snipped-for-privacy@k4g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

I'm all too familiar with such a litany of problems. I had a 1978 X-1/9. Beautiful car, loads of fun to drive, when it was running, but the most poorly engineered piece of crap I've ever owned (although the 1967 Ford Econoline van is a close second). What genius had the brilliant idea of putting carbon steel bleeder valves into aluminum alloy calipers? Almost guarantees you're going to shear the valve off when you try to bleed the brakes. Fuel pump? Oh, yeah. Mine was already on the second fuel pump when I bought it (at only 43K miles), and of course I had to replace that after a year or so. Changing the oil was an adventure: the top of the filter was less than 1/2" from the firewall -- not enough room to slide a band wrench around it -- but that didn't matter anyway, as the diameter of the filter was about an inch larger than any band wrench known to man or beast. And the drain plug? Every other vehicle I've ever seen has a hex head drain plug. Not the X-1/9. Oh, no. That uses a hex *socket*. A honkin' big hex socket. A *12mm* hex socket. Figured if any place in the world would have a 12mm Allen wrench, it would be Sears. Went there. Sure enough, they have one. And it's labelled "Fiat oil wrench". And you know those air scoops on the sides of the X-1/9, just ahead of the rear wheels? I always assumed they were just decorative... until the first time I got caught in a traffic jam. Oh, no, those aren't decorative. The radiator won't remove heat from the engine fast enough to prevent overheating all by itself, if you don't have the airflow from those scoops being ducted over the engine. Yes, I'm all too familiar with the woes of owning a Fiat, which is why I don't believe for a minute that anybody drove one daily "for 27 years" or got anywhere near the mileage claimed, either.

Reply to
Doug Miller