water leaking refrig and future maintenance

Because I failed to clean the back end of the refrig regularly like I used to and it was leaking some water, I chose to get my repair guy to fix it. Prior I did try to thaw the freezer but that didn't help. I did ask a question or two but afterwards realized I had more questions I forgot to ask so here goes.....

I saw the repairman remove from behind the refrig (GE side by side), a heavy plastic tube which he cleaned out (I assume this connected to a drain hole inside the bottom of the freezer) while the 2nd repairman used a C02 cartridge gun to blow thru this drain hole to help unclog it. At that point I think they then put back the tube and sprayed some strong alcohol solution on the refrig coil (???) and said that would clean the coil. Closed up the back of the refrig and said that's it.

I wonder if I can, in the future, pour some bleach and water down this drain hole without hurting the heavy plastic tube? Years ago on other refrigs, I never did this but rather just vacuumed the back end where the guts were. Don't recall any water leaking then. Advice?

(BTW, the repairman apparently got it right because it no longer leaks any water)

Reply to
Doug

If you wish to service this yourself, you must find a manual or else figure out whence that particular leak came. Modern "frost-free" fridges usually have a ventilator tube to lead moisture from the freezer compartment to the drain basin at the base of the appliance. A bone dry is often an indicator that the ventilator tube is plugged by ice:

  1. Briefly cured by defrosting all, so that the ice in the tube melts and falls down into the drain basin.
  2. But the problem will then probably recur, unless you look closer at how your particular fridge works, and manage it appropriately.
Reply to
Don Phillipson

You're right about looking for the manual. Whether it tells me or not, can't say without looking at it. And yes, this is a frost free model. I don't blame the refrig because it's my fault for being lazy... I know better. Thanks.

Reply to
Doug

Found the manual. Doesn't go into a lot of detail but does say to put a little baking soda and hot water down the drain hole once a year. I guess that's easier than fixing it and cheaper too.

Reply to
Doug

d falls down into the drain basin. >>2. But the problem will then probably recur, unless you look >>closer at how your particular fridge works, and ma nage it >>appropriately. > > >You're right about looking for the manual. Wh ether it tells me or >not, can't say without looking at it. And yes, this i s a frost free >model. I don't blame the refrig because it's my fault for b eing >lazy... I know better. Thanks. Found the manual. Doesn't go into a lo t of detail but does say to put a little baking soda and hot water down the drain hole once a year. I guess that's easier than fixing it and cheaper t oo.

There is a fix kit available for a lot of these with this problem. It's ba sically a piece of metal that goes down the drain tube a little ways and at taches to the heat coil that's back in there for the frost free feature. Y ou can do the same thing without the kit just using a piece of #10 or so ba re copper wire. I did ours about 6 years ago and have not had to touch it since.

Reply to
jamesgang