Insulating Attic Space

Quick one for you. Insulating unfinished inaccessible attic space. Vapor barrier or No vapor barrier. Should I insulate the gable end wall in the unfinished inaccessible space.

Reply to
Mastermech

Just make sure you have ventilation or you will run into problems with condensation in the attic.

Reply to
???

If I had my druthers, I'd insulate -- but not vapor barrier if the attic space was over a room in the house because moisture (which vapor barrier was meant to discourage) isn't an issue there. If the space is over somewhere outdoors, unheated, or otherwise un-livable, then by all means vapor barrier.

As for the gable end wall, "inaccessible" doesn't mean "unimportant" when it comes to insulating. Any un-insulated space sucks out heat and air conditioning, so if those two things have any importance to you whatsoever, then insulate it.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Inaccessible doesn't mean non-ventilated. If it is big enough to get into it needs ventilation. And it needs a vapor barrier against the ceiling in any case to keep the insulation dry.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon