installing wainscoting

First, who said it was only 3/16" thick? :)

If it is that thin stuff, could get by. Depending on the thickness of the tile and the trim it just might still be less than flush at the ends with the door casings if they're a full thickness and not look _too_ tacky. Does the tile go behind or is it stopped at the top of the baseboard heaters? I'd have to see a piece in place or at least a picture to decide if I could live with it for my own...others may not be so picky. :)

Reply to
dpb

The OP in his second post in this thread.

If I were planning on being in the house for only a couple of years, I'd have to have a better reason to pull the tile and drywall than there'd be a little trim near openings. Besides, who said the tile is perfectly flush with the trim around the existing openings? You could get away with chamfering or radiusing the exposed edge - it would be self-trimming beadboard. If the beadboard ends sit flush on the baseboard, nobody, including the manufacturer, would notice the baseboards appreared 3/16" of an inch less deep. There's no need for trim there either. All that's needed is a chair rail to cover the top edge.

RicodJour

I don't recall seeing that, but I stuck in my $0.02 initially after the first and really only commented after that on my original idea/suggestions.

I've known many plans of leaving a place "in a year or two" to fall by the wayside -- I moved to TN w/ every intention of only being there about that long -- 25 years later, I _did_ finally get back to the farm, but certainly never expected that to be what was in my future initially. Add to that the current uncertainty in housing markets, depending on where OP is, things may or may not have recovered by then enough to make it feasible and if it were to be a tight market, anything that looked the least bit tacky might be a hindrance.

I'm one who figures if I'm going to do it, I might as well do it the best I know how at the time as I don't know what will be happening in the future. As noted, others may have a different perspective; they're welcome to them. (And, it's not how I make a living, so a little extra time isn't that major of a concern--if there were a _real_ time constraint, I could perhaps be persuaded to take a shortcut.)

Again, all is of course, $0.02, etc., etc., etc., ... :)

Reply to
dpb