Priming and Painting

My mother just called me to say that she is painting her bathroom. She used a latex primer. When she went back to check the job she noticed a bubble. She picked at the bubble and some of the paint peeled off. My assumption is that the previous paint was oil-based. Any suggestions as to how we can fix things?

Reply to
Ultraglide

Itcould have been a greasy spot, in any case you should at least break the gloss with solvent or sandpaper to get good adhesion.

Reply to
beecrofter

dont pick at bubles or pimples they get infected

Reply to
ransley

Glossy old finish? Washed well before painting? Possibly she used a fan or heater to dry the paint, or bright sun was on the area causing it to dry too fast? Blistering is commonly from either suface drying too fast and solvent trapped under the film, or surface was damp and water caused the blister. You can pierce blisters and often they will flatten out and not be a problem. Latex on top of a properly cleaned and dry alkyd should not be a problem.

Reply to
Norminn

Reply to
Ultraglide

Good grief! Don't use paint remover! There are loads of posts on this newsgroup about removing wallpaper. Just pull off the paper. If you try to use paint remover, you will have a goshawful mess.

Unless there are many blisters, or the paint is peeling, you may not have to do anything. If it looks good and stays on, leave it.

You can generally remove paper quite easily and google will give you lots of hits. Messy but not difficult.

Reply to
Norminn

Reply to
Ultraglide

You still should not use paint remover for that. There are products for removing wallpaper, and their primary target isn't so much the paper as the glue that held it on. Whatever brand is sold at Home Despot worked for me, and it's much gentler on your hands than paint remover. No matter what you use, it's going to take effort and a certain level of cussing.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'm curious, does anyone in the house smoke? Lou

Reply to
Lou