Installing Tub

I have an old steel bath tub I want to replace. There are walls on three sides with no access panel. The floor is a concrete slab. I know how to disconnect the drain and vent to remove the old one. My question is how to install the new tub. Do I need to cut an access panel to make the final drain connections, or would a pro connect the drain to the trap first, and then set in tub in on top of it?

Reply to
Rich Anderson

Yes, you could install the tub drain (shoe) to the trap, along with the waste and overflow assy. Then slide/drop the tub onto the shoe. A gasket goes between the shoe and the bottom of the tub. Then the drain fitting screws into the shoe from above the tub. (BTW, the vent doesn't enter into this situation.)

But......everything had better be spot on (dimensionally) or you'll have a wrestle on your hands.

If creating an access will mean a lot of damage, it may be worth a try.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim