Installing gutters (noobish)

I'm having my roof re-done either this year or the next, and don't have gutters on the house at the moment. Couple quick questions:

  1. Will it be better to wait until the roof is re-done to get the gutters installed? Or does it make a difference?

  1. About how much should I estimate for gutters if I get 'em installed? Breaking my fool neck is not in my short-term plans, and the house is built into a hill with a lot of things that make it awkward for a clutz with a ladder to get up and guttering. Just a ballpark number to help me with long-term budgeting... 0? 0? 0? Two straight roof edges, 34' each, the ends of the roof about 30' off the ground.

Reply to
matthewshepherd

Have the roofers install *seamless* gutters when they replace the roof. Have plan to deal with the water coming from the downspouts. the amount of water that comes out of a downspout concentrated in one spot can do a lot of damage. I have 20' of pipe buried for all of my downspouts except the one that hits the driveway. Gutters should add little or no cost to the roofing job, they have a lot of play in the quote they give you.

Do you have a crawlspace, basement or slab?

Reply to
RayV

Given that the equipment for making seamless gutters has come down to the point that most roofers can afford them, they should be able to offer a package.

Get estimates from the pro roofers. Some times more is needed, for example I needed the gable ends "bumped and wrapped" so that the roof properly overhung the siding.

My company did the roof, tuckpointing of the chimney, and gutters. Three crews, but only had to deal with one estimate, and cut one check.

-- If I had something witty to say, this is where I'd say it.

Reply to
John Hines

I've requested a "roof" quote and a "roof + gutters" quote. Hopefully it'll all pan out.

It seems like the wiser thing is to get the gutters done with the roof.

I don't have a crawlspace, basement OR slab. Now I feel deprived. I live in a granite-rich part of the country, so I might be able to pick up a slab of granite to make a reasonably decorative space for the water to hit when it falls... (?)

Reply to
matthewshepherd