Air Compressor Duty Cycle Question

I have a 5 gallon twin tank and although its a relativley small tank it has a fast recharge time - about 15 seconds for it to go from when it kicks on until it reaches just around 145PSI. In the manual it states that the compressor has a 50% duty cycle. Am I understanding this right to mean that if my compressor recharges for 15 sec then I need to let it idle for a minimum of 15 seconds before it should be kicking on again?

Thanks,

-Brent

Reply to
Brent Hardy

yeah that about it. you can add a larger oir extra tank. most small compressors dont get to 145 pounds what are you using?

Reply to
hallerb

More a matter of no more than 30 minutes run time per hour. Less on a hot day and maybe more on a cold day.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Its a "Masterpower" brand by cooper tools. I think it may be a relabel of something else, since I got it as Costco (about 3 mo. ago). Cast iron oil-lube, its louder that I'd like, but I just stick it in a large closet in my garage and its muffled pretty nicley. It has a 150psi max, 5.6cfm @ 90 PSI, pretty good for a portable 5 gallon.

Thanks,

-Brent

Reply to
Brent Hardy

And probably less if it's in a closed closet with no ventilation.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

That restricted air flow will also reduce its effective duty cycle.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Right, and some have a number of "starts" per hour limit. If it runs 15 and is off 15, you have 4 starts per hour. If it runs 1 minute off, one on, you have 30 starts and a lot of strain.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What exactly is the danger of having the compressor running in a my closet? Are you concerned that the heat generated by the compressor will increase the ambient air temperature to level that will cause the compressor to overheat/lose efficiency, or that the lack of or slowed air exchange will somehow cause the compressor problems. Bear in mind its not a coat closet, its roughly 4' x 10' and theres about a 1" gap at the bottom of the door, hardly air tight.

Thanks,

-Brent

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Reply to
Brent Hardy

Yes, Heat is the primary determining factor for duty cycle.

Bear in mind

Compressors make a lot of heat. It is not just the motor, but compressing the air makes it hot so that heat will also be trapped in there.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan