Installing ceiling fan with joists too close apart for ceiling brace kit

I am trying to install a ceiling fan (about 17lb). The outlet box was plastic and probably not rated for ceiling fan so I have it knocked out and was planning to use a ceiling brace kit. However I noticed that the joists was too close apart and the bar of the brace kit is too long. One joist is flushed to the edge of the hole. I wonder if I can just screw a metal outlet box to it. Will that be strong enough as the support is going to be only on one side of the outlet box.
On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 14:44:02 GMT, Frank

Yes you can, here is one type of box designed specifically for the job.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Madison-Electric-Products-Smart-Box-Adjustable-Depth-75-lbs-Light-Fixture-Support-50-lbs-Ceiling-Fan-Support-MSBFAN/203343431
If you use a regular box, don't use the black drywall screws to attach it, use deck screws, they are much stronger and less brittle.
On 6/3/2018 10:44 AM, Frank wrote:

Not sure I understand. You want to use one support and then screw the box directly to the joist on the other side? That can work if you use a long enough screw. If it is attic above, you may be able to reinforce from above too.
On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 14:44:02 GMT, Frank

Use construction adhesive to add a block to the side of the joist and screw the box to the joist and the added block.
--
Mr.E

Or just run the support bar between the joists at an angle allowing the support to fit between the joists????